UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Unique Aspects about Roman Astrology

I already know that the Roman system uses the same signs as the modern tropical system and the Greek,Arabic,Vedic,and Persian systems.

But I am curious what made the Roman system of Astrology unique from other similar systems in various cultures esp. the Tropical System?

Stuff on Roman Astrology seem scarce on the web :( as do stuff on other ancient Astrology System.

• 2 weeks later...

edit: I realize that I misread your original post, I will see if there is anything else I can find. I actually know very little about astrology so this is good practice.

I already know that the Roman system uses the same signs as the modern tropical system and the Greek,Arabic,Vedic,and Persian systems.

But I am curious what made the Roman system of Astrology unique from other similar systems in various cultures esp. the Tropical System?

Stuff on Roman Astrology seem scarce on the web :( as do stuff on other ancient Astrology System.

So your question is how does the modern practice of astrology differ from those of ancient Rome? My initial search brought up many articles discussing the relationship between astrology and Roman politics. Apparently astrologers were expelled from Rome several times. Astrology in Roman Law

and Politics by Frederick Cramer in 1954 seems to be a well-respected work on the subject. I would imagine it is very dry and scholarly but it might be a good read and answer some of your questions.

A History of Western Astrology Volume I: The Ancient and Classical Worlds by Nicholas Campion is available at Amazon.com and looks like it might answer some of your questions. Volume II covers "The Medieval and Modern Worlds".

The following is a short excerpt from a long encyclopedia article which lists some sources that may help answer your question. I believe Pliny is freely available online, so you might want to look at that. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Plin.+Nat.+toc&redirect=true

The Romans

The Elder Pliny

Edited by Skywatcher

• 2 weeks later...

edit: I realize that I misread your original post, I will see if there is anything else I can find. I actually know very little about astrology so this is good practice.

So your question is how does the modern practice of astrology differ from those of ancient Rome? My initial search brought up many articles discussing the relationship between astrology and Roman politics. Apparently astrologers were expelled from Rome several times. Astrology in Roman Law

and Politics by Frederick Cramer in 1954 seems to be a well-respected work on the subject. I would imagine it is very dry and scholarly but it might be a good read and answer some of your questions.

A History of Western Astrology Volume I: The Ancient and Classical Worlds by Nicholas Campion is available at Amazon.com and looks like it might answer some of your questions. Volume II covers "The Medieval and Modern Worlds".

The following is a short excerpt from a long encyclopedia article which lists some sources that may help answer your question. I believe Pliny is freely available online, so you might want to look at that. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Plin.+Nat.+toc&redirect=true

The Romans

The Elder Pliny