UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Crispina

Fortress of Spears

Amazon sent me an email suggesting "Fortress of Spears" by Anthony Riches. It's third in the Empire series. Has anyone read the first two books? Seems I remember discussion on this series some time ago but was lazy and didn't do a search.

Haven't read it myself, but...

Review

Trailer

Comment

Thanks. I see the word "bloody" more than once in the reviews and I sort of cringe altho I certainly know that is a part of it all; but sometimes I admit I skip over those scenes, however well written they may be. Case in point. While reading one book, I think it was "Eagle in The Snow" or it could have been one in the Simon Scarrow series, I still remember vividly one such scene where the main character(s)come upon a prisoner left by his captors, suspended over a well sharpened spear, part of which was already how should I say, inserted "where the sun doesn't shine". :( When the time comes when the prisoner is no longer able to lift his weight, well...you get the picture. ugh. Let's just say it took awhile to get that image out of my mind.

I think I'll check out the library tomorrow and at least try to read the first in the series. ;)

Hi Crispina. I read the first and second, but am yet to read the third. I'll echo what has been said so far. Well read, and quite exciting. Well researched. Good characters. I very much enjoyed reading them, though I didn't rush out for the third book. I won't bore you with a full review, but some of the gory scenes are very gory, and as a lady of delicate constitution, you may be advised to skip ahead once things start getting too 'wet'.

Hi Crispina. I read the first and second, but am yet to read the third. I'll echo what has been said so far. Well read, and quite exciting. Well researched. Good characters. I very much enjoyed reading them, though I didn't rush out for the third book. I won't bore you with a full review, but some of the gory scenes are very gory, and as a lady of delicate constitution, you may be advised to skip ahead once things start getting too 'wet'.

Ugh. Ok, thanks. I may give the books a try.