UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

CSIC researchers find the exact spot where Julius Caesar was stabbed

They have found a concrete structure that the adoptive son of the General, killed in 44 BC, placed inside the Curia of Pompey to condemn his death. A concrete structure of three meters wide and over two meters high, placed by order of Augustus (adoptive son and successor of Julius Caesar) to condemn the assassination of his father, has given the key to the scientists. This finding confirms that the General was stabbed right at the bottom of the Curia of Pompey while he was presiding, sitting on a chair, over a meeting of the Senate. Currently, the remains of this building are located in the archaeological area of Torre Argentina, right in the historic centre of the Roman capital....

...more at EurekAlert

History still lives, it seems. I hope this means they stop feeding and encouraging stray cats from making that square romes biggest cat toilet... kitty urine must disolve marble. Or maybe the love of cats is what preserves that otherwise neglected square from something worse. I wonder if the spanish and italian research teams will be hit by austerity, and this was a last hurrah of results. Hope for the best...

Really an amazing find.

Best visit soon. Cats or not I'm afraid some UNRV members (and you know who you are!) might make a special trip to urinate on any commemoration which condemns Caesar's murder.

Here is an organization that feeds the stray cats daily within those very ruins according to http://www.romancats.com/index_eng.php (then hit the OUR WORK tab).

I dont think that is a good activity in the ruins even though they do seem to sterilize some. At least if they werent fed, some rat and pigeon eradication might be accomplished. I suggest someone sneak in and disguise an ultrasonic siren which drives away critters but is out of human hearing wavelengths.

Edited by caesar novus