UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
barca

ancient vs modern symposia

Modern Symposia involve lectures, workshops, and discussion of a particular discipline. A reception with cocktail usually follows such event for a more informal get together.

It seems to me that in the ancient world a symposium combined academics, intellectual discussion, entertainment in the arts, cabaret-style entertainment, and debauchery. Xenophon's symposium is a good example.

Am I correct?

Very much so! But even though there are some similarities between the modern and ancient symposia, I'm not so sure if Sokrates (or Xenophon) would even realize that they were attending one if they could come to one today! Ancient symposia were much more, ehm, drinking heavy. I sort of imagine a frat party. But worse. Much worse.

THIS LINK CONTAINS MATERIAL NOT SUITABLE FOR MINORS. BE WARNED

A symposium in the ancient world could end up like this.

THIS LINK CONTAINS MATERIAL NOT SUITABLE FOR MINORS. BE WARNED

Or this.

Or why not by urinating from your while still lying on your cline?

Or this. (Puking)

Another one puking.

Luckily or possibly unluckily when I tried to follow the links Klingan had provided above from this PC they all went to the same top level search screen.

I ended up having to copy and paste the search into a new windows - and yes my eyes are watering with some of the images - not for the young :blink:

Luckily or possibly unluckily when I tried to follow the links Klingan had provided above from this PC they all went to the same top level search screen.

I ended up having to copy and paste the search into a new windows - and yes my eyes are watering with some of the images - not for the young :blink:

Ah! It's actually better like that, I don't want anyone to hit them links by mistake! I hope it's not too much. Then again, this kind of stuff is hidden on purpose by modern Greece. it may be though to see, even disturbing, but it was a very important part of the ancient culture in the area. The Greeks were not all philosophers.

I can't find the images. Help!

I'm over 18. Pinky swear.