UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joyce

The ancient Roman Empire and the ancient Egyptian empire? which one i

Who can tell me, Weather Gaius Julius Caesar and Cleopatra VII had love relationship or not? The ancient Roman Empire and the ancient Egyptian empire? which one is more stronger?

PS:I love both Caesar and Cleopatra VII, this two movies are perfect!

I don't think that there can be any doubt about the existence of some kind of relationship between the two, as is eluded to in several ancient texts, but whether love was involved or not is a completely different matter. At that time and in that strata of society, marriages, sexual relationships, etc. were more about political manoeuvring, and love was a happy bonus, if it turned out to be the case. Caesar would have been interested in reinforcing a dominant position of Rome over Egypt, and his own position in the Roman elite. Cleo's motivation would be to secure a good relationship with Rome (via the right Roman) and security of her dynasty and populace.

As i hear about these I can't say something about love relationship, and about roman empire and Egyptian empire, both are very strong and can describe to both of them in different fields, like roman empire is very strong in area, people and Egyptian empire is very strong in art, design and more different things.

The fact that Caesar acknowledge Cleopatra's son Caesarion as his may well indicate that there was a 'loving' relationship over and above the obvious political elements of the relationship - two powerful people working in conjunction to the horror of politicians cut out of the power 'loop'.

There was definately concern in Rome at the extent to which Casear had become enamoured of Cleopatra particularly when she followed him to Rome in 46BC along with her son and Caesar set her up in one of his properties as her local 'palace'.

The fact that Caesar acknowledge Cleopatra's son Caesarion as his may well indicate that there was a 'loving' relationship over and above the obvious political elements of the relationship - two powerful people working in conjunction to the horror of politicians cut out of the power 'loop'.

There was definately concern in Rome at the extent to which Casear had become enamoured of Cleopatra particularly when she followed him to Rome in 46BC along with her son and Caesar set her up in one of his properties as her local 'palace'.

. . . and we must acknowledge that the love may well have been going only one way. Cleopatra was fully aware of the advantage that could be gained for her and her people if she were to ensure Caesar was in love with her. The fact that she repeated the behaviour with Mark Antony is (to a degree) evidence of that.