UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Sacrificial Daggers

Cavaros

• 2 weeks later...

Please note that the cutting edge appears on the concave side. This is consistent with a blade used not for stabbing (as popularly depicted) but either slicing a curved bodily feature or even a deliberate incision to remove an organ. As far as I'm aware, the celts did not practice the latter ritual (I have no information on that) but they did habitually remove the head of a fallen victim or adversary - this was done to use the head as a trophy (it might be presented as a gift as well in some cases) but also to 'capture' the qualities of the dead person. In fact, the legend of the Holy Grail originally stems from ritual practises involving heads and cauldrons - it was the medieval romances that conected the Grail with christian motifs, and many arthurian tales have celtic origin.

Gosh Cavaros, those daggers are Thracian/Dacian sica. Most of the pics and the idea with having too a possible sacrificial role come from Borangic, which clearly said they are of Thracian-Getae/Dacian origin.

It is possible of course that some Scordiscii to adopt them as well (as Thracians or Dacians used Celtic like swords too), but they surely arent Celtic in origin (and you will not find them in other Celtic areas as far as i know).

I am well aware of Borangic and his little Dacian 'sica' fantasies.

These daggers have been found in Celtic burials from Croatia to the Black Sea, from Transylvania to Galatia, together with Celtic swords, shields, jewelry etc., often 'killed' according to Celtic practice.

I am well aware of Borangic and his little Dacian 'sica' fantasies.

These daggers have been found in Celtic burials from Croatia to the Black Sea, from Transylvania to Galatia, together with Celtic swords, shields, jewelry etc., often 'killed' according to Celtic practice.

You should better be more aware of your own fantasies. This is really embarassing but you probably dont even realize in your quest to prove that everything in Thracia and even Dacia is Celtic. Gosh, i am wonder if Thracians knew how to make a fire before Celts comes around, or how to walk on two legs. :rolleyes:

Those are sica, a Thraco-Dacian weapon, and from ancient authors to modern historians everyone will tell you that.

Did you ever wonder why they show up just in Dacian and Thracian areas, but not in Gallia or other Celtic areas in Central and western Europe? I know, is just a rethorical question

Keep it polite folks. If you have a point to make cite sources and arguments pro or con

We will have less of the personal comments or else. The legati are watching. :hammer:

I meant it thread locked :hammer: