UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Favorite Roman Poet

As important as Horace and Ovid are to the history of literature, I can't say that poetry truly inspires me. However, I did enjoy reading Bellum Civile (or Pharsilia) by Lucan, not because of the style but because of the subject matter. There's something about the nature of the civil war between Caesar and Pompey that always draws me.

Other than that, I admire Juvenal for his biting wit and contempt for corruption, decadence, etc. His satires got him into considerable trouble, but then again, what Roman poet/writer didn't have to watch his back a little.

Ovid was my favorite....

Now stands my task accomplished, such as not the wrath of Jove, nor fire, nor sword, now the devoring ages can destroy.

Let when it will the day that lay no claim but to my mortal body end the span of my uncertain years.

Yet all be born again, the finer part of me, abouve the stars, imortal, and my name shall never die. Whether through lands beneth her sway, the might of Rome extends....my words shall be upon the lips of men.

If truth be esabalished by poetic prophecy my name shall live for all eternity.

-Ovid's last line in his book Metamorphoses.

Ovid is my favourite poet. I read it poems only in Latin. It sounds very hardly in Russian translation.

I read Lucan too. Really, it was very interesting, but it read slowly because style was difficult for me.

The first poet whom I have read in Latin was Catull. I can remember something:

Ille mi par esse deo videtur

ille, si fas est, suparare divos,

qui sedens adversus identidem te

spectat et audit

dulce ridentem, misero quod omnis

eripit sensus mihi....etc

My apologies. I can make mistakes.

Of course, Primus Pilus, are you reading in Latin? It's the only way to truly enjoy the text.

My Latin is rather limited and I struggle through, so I prefer the pre-translated texts. It's a rather embarrassing weakness really. I can read it, but it takes me forever and I lose the feel of what I was reading.

Indeed, in Augustus' renewal of Roman virtue, Ovid was banished from Rome due to his status as the Hugh Heffner/Larry Flynt of the Ancient world. He was a high profile target of Augustus' anti adultery legislation, and the emperor also blamed Ovid for his daughter's (Julia), hmm how shall we say this, less than virtuous nature :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Indeed, in Augustus' renewal of Roman virtue, Ovid was banished from Rome due to his status as the Hugh Heffner/Larry Flynt of the Ancient world. He was a high profile target of Augustus' anti adultery legislation, and the emperor also blamed Ovid for his daughter's (Julia), hmm how shall we say this, less than virtuous nature :)

I read that the jury was still out on why Augustus exiled Ovid and that it may have been an error on Augustus' part rather than Ovid's. Granted Ovid's "Art of Love" might have caused a scandal, but was it really any more scandalous than anything else around? For that matter, Julia was already pretty independent, and I have a tough time believing that a poem could turn a prude into a harlot (even a very good poem :D).

Indeed, in Augustus' renewal of Roman virtue, Ovid was banished from Rome due to his status as the Hugh Heffner/Larry Flynt of the Ancient world. He was a high profile target of Augustus' anti adultery legislation, and the emperor also blamed Ovid for his daughter's (Julia), hmm how shall we say this, less than virtuous nature :)

I read that the jury was still out on why Augustus exiled Ovid and that it may have been an error on Augustus' part rather than Ovid's. Granted Ovid's "Art of Love" might have caused a scandal, but was it really any more scandalous than anything else around? For that matter, Julia was already pretty independent, and I have a tough time believing that a poem could turn a prude into a harlot (even a very good poem :D).

He was Augustus.. if he said it was Ovid's fault... then it was Ovid's fault. :)

Yes its personal opinion, though one that has a wide (even if contested) level of acceptance.