UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

People Scoff when Past People fear Legendary Units

Pisces Axxxxx

There is a trend I notice when people discuss Military History.

We all know how certain units throughout history like the Spartan Hoplite were so feared in their time that entire nations would AVOID war against a the nations with these units on the basis that they existed within. That even if a nation literally had the capability to wage war and a good chance of defeating nation with such legendary elites, they would literally skimper out and avoid any chance of provoking a fight.

There are even large instances were whole armies retreated simply because their opponents had JUST ONE MERE UNIT of such feared legendary units.

LEGENDARY EXAMPLE are the Spartan Hoplite. They were so infamous for their legendary battle prowess that Greek city states feared confrontation and would only fight the Spartans if they were being attacked by them,

In fact the novel "Gates of Themopylae" exemplifies this when one survivor of the sacking of a now destroyed Greek city state said: "Oh if only we had Spartans here. If we ONLY had even ONE SPARTAN our city would not have fallen!"

The Swiss Pikeman is another example. After defeating various European armies including the elite Knights of said armies, the Swiss Pikeman became so respected that no nation dare invade Switzerland near the end of the Middle Ages and start of the Renaissance. Thats how much the Swiss Pikemen became feared in at their prime.

The English Longbow man is another great example. The defeats the French faced were so terrific that few French nobles dare take on the English out of fear of their Longbow (even though combined, the entire armies of France at the time not only heavily outnumbered the English but under a skilled leader could have beaten them early in the Hundred Years War).

Don't even get me on the Knights who were feared in the early Middle Ages by anyone but professional man-at-arms and other Knights.

I can go on and on.

I do notice how when discussing Military History, people scoff at such legendary unit's reputation. They often state "they're humans too! They can be killed just like us!!!". This is especially true by soldiers/former soldiers and teens who play and excel at Computer Wargames and Strategy games like Shogun:Total War and Battles in Normandy. In their view "just learn their weaknesses and take steps to counter them or lure them into a trap and they'll be easily killed!!!!" This is especially true for

soldiers or former soldiers who have been instilled the belief that "anyone can be killed!!!".

What do you think of this?

I see this as a repeat of people criticizing the past actually being precisely the type to commit them if they were in the same situations (and fro my personal experience they actually do).

To put an analogy, most of these people wouldn't dare take on the toughest reputed Street Fighter in town. Most of them would even be too scared that if they get cornered, they would not have the backbone to punch them back (even if they have no choice to defend themselves). JUST A LOCAL BULLY!!!!!

What more if you were fighting professional units armed to the teeth and with reputation as the most vicious,most ruthless,and most efficient killers in the world???!!!!!

What do you think?