UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Senatorial Titles

lothia

Ave Civitas,

I was just reading in Michael Grant's "Fall of the Roman Empire" that the number of senators was 2,000 in Rome and another 2,000 in Constantinopolis.

With the problem of not having enough room in the Curia (Rome) or the Senate House (Constantinopolis) only the highest of the three classes of Senators were allowed to sit in the Curia/Senate House.

Then my question was, did these three classes (based upon level of wealth and whether they were "New Men") have designations, like the upper house, the lower house, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Edited by lothia

Hello,

Well, I am no big fan of late antiquity, neither do I know much about it, but I'm pretty sure that the senators were divided into classes in the late empire and being given different titles such as clarissima (the most shining) etc. Anyways, I'm sure that someone else here can help you at lot more!

Hi,

Looking at my copy of Mitchell's "A history of the Later Roman Empire A.D 284-641", 2007, I find the following informations on page 182, diagram 5.2 :

equestrian class : called "perfectissimi" from at least the time of the Notitia Dignitatum onward

senatorian class :

• Notitia Dignitatum
    • Clarissimi (lower)
    • spectabiles
    • Illustres (higher)

[*]Theodosian Constitution (412 A.D.)

• clarissimi (lower)
    • senatores
    • spectabiles
    • illustres (higher)

Together those categories made the imperial aristocracy

But those who did reach the consulship made a sort of sub-class. Around 530 A.D., in the time of Justinian, only the illustres would seat at the senate : they were former consuls, patricians and some member of the emperor's inner circle. Sons would inherit only the status of clarissimi and would have to prove themselve to reach higher levels.

The grades of senators in the later empire were based on tenure of offices - actually held or honorary (by order of the emperor).

The highest ranking illustres were ex consuls and "patricians" (no longer a hereditary rank but an honor bestowed on individuals by the emperor),then came holders of the praetorian or urban praefectures, and masters of the soldiers and the praepositi sacri cubiculi. Next in precedence came the various palatine ministers viz master of offices, quaestors, the comites of the largitiones, res privata and donestici.

Proconsuls, vicars of diocese, comes rei militaris and duces were spectabilis.

Lesser palatine officials, consulars and praesidi of provinces and tribunes of army units, as well as all who were senators by birth alone were clarissimi.

See H M D Parker "The Later Roman Empire" Ch XV.

As the number of senators increased the lower orders were not required to attend or reside at Rome or Constantinople and were encouraged, and sometimes required, to return to their home towns in the provinces. This was sweetened by not requiring them to hold the praetorship, which by this time was limited to spending huge sums on games and public works.

Edited by Pompieus

You are welcome.

The large number of senators(up to 2000 in both East and West) dates from the late 4th century. Senators had been excluded from most important military and civil offices from the mid 3rd century in favor of equestrians. Constantine began restoring the tradition of appointing holders of high office to the senate, and the large civil service and army built up the number of senators rapidly. His son made the senate of Constantinople an "Imperial" rather than a city institution, and the senates in both cities could meet in other venues than the curia, often in the palace.