UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

1054 is a very important year, as it saw the splitting of Christianity. 400 years after this Byzantium would fall. Is their an effect on Byzanine's fall that can be attributed to the Great Schism. And from the Russian point of view and interesting coincidence, the death of the great Yaroslav the wise who brought Orthodoxy to the Russian people, or who would soon be the Russian people.

Guest Scanderbeg
Is their an effect on Byzanine's fall that can be attributed to the Great Schism

Definately. The Schism completely divided the two churhces making them almost enemies. During the 4th Crusade the crusaders, rather then heading to egypt to carry on the war, sacked Constantinople and established the latin empire. This weakened the empire extremely and only hastaned its fall.

During the Ottoman preparations for the siege the last Byzantine Emperor, Constantine XI Palaeologus, went to the west for aid but was rejected because he would not unite the church.

Had the Schism not occured all of this would have never happened. It had a huge effect on the death of Constantinople. One of the biggest reasosn actually.

Yeah, 1054 was outstanding as for Visantium as and for Russia.

Yaroslav The Wise, duke of Kiev Russia, died in 1054. He divided the state between his numerous sons in tradition of his forefathers

Guest Scanderbeg

The Tsar period of Russia is one that has always had my interests. I don't know why. I saw always saw that as the newer Byzantines. Once the Greek one fell.

I also must note that Palaeologus, the last Byzantine Emperor was infact half slavic in origin, Serbian to be exact.

Constantine XI Palaeologus (1405-1453) the last Byzantium Imperator (1449