UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Why do i see pictures of legionarries with either Red blue or green tunics? Is it a cock up on the part of the publisher or producer? is it regimental or General based ornimentation ie like the royal navy with admirals of the blue for example, Info plz

Thanks

Pax Romana

There is no complete consensus opinion on tunica colors, though most historians tend to agree that the typical 'uniform' consisted of a dark red tunic. Some think there may have been a second off-white one issued as well.

I'm not sure what the green and blue tunics are that you're referring to. Where did you see this published?

That's a controversial topic. To date, no one's been able to provide any conclusive evidence of any "uniform" colors for Roman units across the board for any time period.

The current thinking is that most Legionary tunics were standard off-white/beige natural wool fiber. Dyeing processes back then were very expensive, and probably cost prohibitive. Hollywood always goes with red.

• 4 weeks later...
The red color (as opposed to the normal citizen's off-whitish) was symbolic of changing from citizen to soldier...the state of mind that had to change and you became something else when you put the tunic on.

Hi there. Where did you get that information from? I'd be interested to read it.

Cheers,

Jim.

unfortunately I forget the name of the book at the moment (and I got it from the school library grr) I think it was called something like "The Roman Army" (simple huh?) it was a big, flat book with lots of pretty pictures lol but the information seemed valid. And from what I know of Roman culture, it seems perfectly plausible.

From what I know, the legionnaries wore red tunics during battle to disguise blood stains and white tunics during parade duties. Not sure where they got blue and green from.

From what I know, the legionnaries wore red tunics during battle to disguise blood stains and white tunics during parade duties. Not sure where they got blue and green from.

this makes sense, but logically I would think that with the cost of red dye, it would be the other way around. Plain old whitish shirts were cheaper, and disposable. And lets face it: a shirt is not really gonna last very long in battle. The red would be more "show off the might of Rome"ish and would be more likely to be used in parades, by my thinking at least.

the cost of red dye

Not necessarily. States through history have always found a way to make their army look more impressive. Madder red dye has always been one of the most cost effective, hence the British Redcoats.

the legionnaries wore red tunics during battle to disguise blood stains and white tunics during parade duties.

Another 'maybe', and there is no contemporary evidence of this to my knowledge. The show of blood on a white tunic could actually put off an opponent, because the bloodied guy had survived a bloodbath. Think about it. There is a good reason to believe white was worn at parades, but that is not defintitive of combat colours.

Cheers,

Jim.

OK guys, I am not as much as an expert as you, but I was told by an archaeologist that a Roman tunic could be any colour as long as it was earthy tones.