UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ben41193

Julius Caesar Good Or Bad

and, of course: killing everyone else who may disagree.

Thats one of the main reasons Caesar was not a despot in the same vein at Stalin or Hitler. He was noted for his extraordinary clemency shown to those who opposed him. Indeed, had he been the ruthless villian he is often painted to be, he would perhaps not have been assasinated.

As soon as Brutus and Cassius had killed Caesar, they threw Rome into a bloody civil war (fighting for their own power) so did they really care about Rome?

No, they didn't. They cared only about maintaining the power of the senatorial oligarchy, Brutus's deed was in a way very Roman though, wanting to relive the glory of his King slaying ancestor, he just made the mistake of not targeting a cruel king/tyrant.

Oops. Obviously it was a big mistake to include the name of the laudable Caesar along with the likes of the monsterous Stalin and Hitler within the same paragraph. My intention was certainly NOT to suggest a similarity between Caesar and the likes of Stalin and Hitler, but to do just the opposite -- to contrast the obviously good vs bad difference between the conspiciously good Caesar and the two very very bad Bad Guy comparisons.

The point I was attempting to make (obviously not very well) was that a ruler's "being loved" is NOT the defining factor that establishes that that ruler (Caesar, or otherwise ) is "good." There are many reasons why Caesar was "good," but the fact that he was widely "loved" by the non-Boni factions in Rome is clearly incidental. Why? Because history is filled with nasty scoundrel-demonic-leaders who were also "loved" -- Hitler and Stalin being the extreme examples I used."

For those of us who admire Caesar, there are many, many arguments why Caesar was "good." In my view, the argument that this is because he was "loved" is certainly one of the least persuasive.

Boo to Stalin and Hitler. Hail to Caesar, be he "loved" or "loved" not.

Well said Augur, well said. I get you :blink:

AVE CAESAR! ROMA VICTOR! :D

Nothing anyone has said or will say will be able to diminish my love for Caesar.

BOO! to Cassius and Brutus as well :blink:

Nothing anyone has said or will say will be able to diminish my love for Caesar.

Yes, but have you heard about the remarkable letter that a team of Italian archeologists has just found that was written from Caesar to Octavian and which describes in detail Caesar's secret plans, as soon as he return from the Parthian campaign, to kill the entire Senate, rape all the Vestal Virgins, legalize LSD and same-sex marriage, and exile to Armenia all Romans who's names start with the letter "B."

Just kidding, but never say never.