UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Greatest Roman General

Who do you think was the greatest Roman general?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was the greatest Roman general?

• Scipio Africanus
    • Gaius Marius
    • Lucius Cornelius Sulla
    • Julius Caesar
    • Octavian
    • Germanicus
    • Aurelian
    • Dioclietan
    • Constantine I
    • Other

It certainly comes down to Caesar or Scipion in my opinion, with the edge to JC in my opinion. The dark horse would be Trajan, not listed, with his conquest of Dacia and sacking of the Parthian capital. Unfortunately for him he has no battles that make anyone's "greatest battles of..." list which always boosts a generals reputation.

Pompey isn't listed as well, which is unfortunate. Plutarch says something along the line of Pompey having been judged the greatest if he had died at the age of forty.

In my edit I'd like to add I see no reason why Augustus/Octavian is listed.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pompeius problem was that he was too easily manipulated and was molded to fit the needs of the Boni after he and Caesar no longer had the bond through Pompeius being married to Caesar's daughter. Pompey should have retired before the civil war, but he did not, the same can be said of Marius who didn't leave the political sphere early enough and went insane, kind of, slaughtering Romans who opposed him after his last election as council.

Pompeius' reputation suffers as a result of his ultimate loss to Caesar (despite a near total victory at Dyrrhachium). Some of his eastern campaigns have also been questioned because of the work already achieved by previous commanders, but in reality, Pompey won one overwhelming battle after another in his career. If not for the political infighting of his senatorial entourage after Dyrrachium, history may have turned out very differently.

Indeed, I only point out that he lost to one of history's greatest generals. Had Pompey been good enough to follow up, he would have likely earned a place high on the list.

And had he won, just how different might have western culture developed? Considering that Caesar restabilized and invigorated a sinking ship, and provided history with an equally capable heir, the civil wars following the defeat of Caesar (between any number of candidates) may have annhilited the very fragile state of affairs. (Despite any romantic anti-Caesarean thoughts, Caesar's death would not have altered the course of Roman politics... which was spiraling ever out of control for over a century. And yes, its possible that a Pompeian victory may have resulted in temporary stability, but the Republic had long since proven itself incapable and its fall was inevitable and irreversable). It's an interesting concept but probably better left to its own topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Julius Caesar because he subdued the Gauls in the most complete fashion, and for his brilliant achievements at Alesia and Zela, but I think Trajan, the "Optimus Princeps", could do with a bit more recognition, as he was the Emperor who extended the Empire to it's maximum, and his victories over the Dacians and the Parthians were quite impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm amazed that G.J.Ceasar has beaten P.C.Scipio Africanus Major by that much!

Rome became a world power because of P.C.Scipio's brilliance on the battlefield and contrary to propaganda he never let it get to his head. Furthermore, he introduced new tactics to the Roman Army (+ the use of the Gladius) that would be used for centuries...

Ceasar was no doubt a bad a$$ but he lacked the finesse that Scipio employed in getting the most strategic benefit out of a victory. I mean, it's my view that Ceasar single handedly put naval technology behind ~1000 years by completely obliterating the Veneti...

Maybe a poll on who had the greater gall.... I think Sulla would give Caesar a run for his money....

Sulla > Pompey :whistling:

It makes me so mad that Pompey gets all the credit for winning the Mithridatic Wars... Sulla owned that...

And Lucullus rarely gets enough credit for virtually stifling resistance before Pompey even showed up.

Eh, in my last post in this thread I said Corbulo, for his victory at Actium. Doh. I meant Agrippa (though he wasn't a general). What's the Roman equivalent of Admiral?

Eh, in my last post in this thread I said Corbulo, for his victory at Actium. Doh. I meant Agrippa (though he wasn't a general). What's the Roman equivalent of Admiral?

Agrippa held Proconsular imperium by virtue of his consulship in 37 BC. He functioned as both a Legatus Legionis and a Praefectus Classis (fleet commander)

I mean, it's my view that Ceasar single handedly put naval technology behind ~1000 years by completely obliterating the Veneti...

1000 years? Is there evidence about these Veneti being that much more advanced in naval technology?