UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guys often brag it would great to be an Absolute Ruler

Pisces Axxxxx

Last year in my last account I chatted with Caildrail about this. Suddenly after making a discovery about my bloodline, I'm inspired to post this here.

I notice a tendency for so called "intelligent" young men to rant how easy and great things would be if they were in a position of Dictatorship in a country.More often than not,these (so they think so fully of themselves) men of "above average intelligence" seem to think being an Dictator would be fun and easy,often they rant how they would quickly make "change".

For example one guy I need bragged how if he were Alexander the Great,it would be so awesome because he would be in glory, having sex with as much women as he want and conquering the world and creating a mighty empire.

Another guy once posted if he were an absolute ruler,he would quickly overthrow world governments,via invasion, and then create an ideal "free-for-all" society where anybody can do anything he want.

I remember hearing from one poster on the internet ranting how if he were a feudal lord in the Medieval Ages,he would have a huge harem of lady and easily be conquering much of Europe and becoming a glorious "Ruler".

Hell in every history forum I went to,there seems to be so many young boys who never served a day in a political seat such a mayor of treasurer nor had they ever even enlisted in the Military who thinks being absolute ruler is an easy game of "Chess" where they get to do anything they want from having harems of women to having fun conquering the world to even creating society as they wish it to be.

What do you think?I personally laugh at these people because IMO they're childish.They think being a ruler is the same as playing an Empire-Building Computer game as Civilization or simply as not making the same mistakes they read in History books such as those Xerxes of Persia made?

It seems to me they FAILED TO READ MORE ON HISTORY-If they did,they would have realized that the rulers they boast they wish if they were in their place such as Caesar and Alexander of Macedonia COULD NOT SIMPLY DO ANYTHING THEY WISH even if they were under the title of "Absolute Ruler".More often then not they had to be wary of their actions which may anger and lost support of their people,nearby rulers,and even their armies. Not even Adolf Hitler could simply have ordered and have done anything he wanted to do(contrary to popular belief).Being a ruler is an extremely daulting and tiring job.Hell even just ruling a small parcel of land back in the Medieval Times as a noble was already exhausting enough to be comparible to that of a CEO especially with other nearby land-hungry lords eager to attack you any moment they see an oppurtunity to and take over your land as theirs!Add Military Campaigns which these guys think would be easy conquering the world because they "READ AND THINK THEY WON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES" or because they done so well ina PC game like Total War or Civilizations-ROFLOL just plain laughable that they act like its easy conquering the world XD!

Add to the fact that these young guys NEVER SERVED IN A POLITICAL POSITION SUCH AS TOWN MAYOR let alone GOVERNOR or even PRESIDENT nor have they EVER EVEN STEPPED FOOT IN MEPS let alone PASSED BOOTCAMP AND SERVED THE MILITARY and I laugh at these guys comments.Shows their "intelligence".

If anything,these guys who boast such stuff IMO are precisely the type that would get kicked out of their position of Absolute Ruler and possibly be killed by the conquering enemy armies as they make blunders in their rules that will probably anger their subjects and create wars in which the nations they rulle will lose and be conquered by nearby nations they angered!

What do you think?Do you agree that guys who rant how they want to be a Dictator or Absolute Ruler like Saddam Hussein or Alexander the Great are precisely the type that won't last as Feudal Lords or Kings and will probably be quickly overthrown and killed by nearby hostile Feudal Lords or Kingdoms or Countries or even their own people?

Caildrail told me that its desirable to be absolute ruler but few people have the both the intelligence and ruthlessness to make it to the top. In addition once you're king Caildrail states its very common to have paranoia to the point of extremity and making it up there is not as easy as staying up there.

If I were in charge, these people would be the first against the wall

If I were in charge, these people would be the first against the wall

This reminds me of wolfie Smith's response to needing an awfully long wall for all those who were going to be first against it - 'Don't worry we are going to use Hadrian's Wall'. :P

I remember hearing from one poster on the internet ranting how if he were a feudal lord in the Medieval Ages,he would have a huge harem of lady and easily be conquering much of Europe and becoming a glorious "Ruler".

Well he would wouldn't he? It's all deeply instinctual (and a little immature, but if you're that powerful, who's going to criticise?) and the basis for achieving political success, which is after no different to trying to dominate a herd/pack in the wild - you get mating rights and everyomne else slinking out of your path.

However these lads don't have the experience of it. You can sort of tell can't you? The problem with playing king of the hill is that sooner or later a younger stronger man will want your place. That too is the natural norm. A great many dictators end their careers in igmony.

However these lads don't have the experience of it.

Caligula, Nero, Elagabalus, etc. spring readily to mind.

This reminds me of wolfie Smith's response to needing an awfully long wall for all those who were going to be first against it - 'Don't worry we are going to use Hadrian's Wall'. :P/>

Remembered with great fondness! "Freedom for Tooting!"