UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hamilcar Barca

Episode III

tonight will be number 3 for me. some comparrisons to the roman republics fall I see too. Emperor Palpatine represents Julius Caesar, in a much harsher way, and darth vader Augustus. And if you notice yoda's speech, it is literal translation of latin with verb mostly last.

I thought it was pants :( was good to see chewie again though :D

I think the old ones are much better .

L

and it took 5hrs to download,i couldnt beleive it.

and it took 5hrs to download,i couldnt beleive it.

Maybe it would have been better to see it legally in a theatre? :(

It was better than Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, but that's roughly like being the best hockey player in all of Peru. I'd put it as good as the weakest of the first set of movies, Return of the Jedi.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't any great shakes.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. I still like the earlier movies more, but it all ties nicely together. Some thoughts re the movie are:

1- It's funny to think that Boba Fett was surrounded by clones of himself when talking to Vader on the Star destroyer in Empire strikes back.

2- I always thought Yoda appeared so old just for that reason, but in reality he looked a lot younger prior to his brush with Palpatine.

3-Han Solo was an Imperial officer, I would have liked to have seen him save Chewies life, tying that thread up nicely.

4-Obi Wans line before dying (kind of) in Star wars "If you strike me down I will become more powerful that you can possibly imagine" makes even more sense now.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents on a great movie !

2- I always thought Yoda appeared so old just for that reason, but in reality he looked a lot younger prior to his brush with Palpatine.

3-Han Solo was an Imperial officer, I would have liked to have seen him save Chewies life, tying that thread up nicely.

Thanks for the spoilers :D

;)

1- It's funny to think that Boba Fett was surrounded by clones of himself when talking to Vader on the Star destroyer in Empire strikes back.

Boba fett wasnt a clone,that was jango fett,his old fella. :D;)

Han was in his late twenties, early thirties in the original film, if "Sith" takes place about twenty years before, then Han would have been just a little boy in the ROTS time frame, not enough time to be an imperial officer.

I'm also a little puzzled. It takes the Empire about twenty years from Episode III to Episode IV to build the Death Star. From Episode IV to Episode VI there is a span of about four years where the second Death Star is complete enough to be used as a weapon. Doesn't make much sense.

I also don't know why OBi Wan seems to have aged about forty years rather than twenty from Episode III to IV.

Obi wan also says in Luke's time that the Jedi have been extinct so long they are all but a myth. Well, gee, it's only been twenty years since the Jedi were killed off, that's not enough time to evolve into a half-remembered myth.

I don't think Lucas thought this out very well, honestly. But he seems more interested in special effects than plot or character or "mythic" themes. That's the main problem I have with this whole trilogy. :-(

Boba fett wasnt a clone,that was jango fett,his old fella.

Sorry mate, but the Clone army was Cloned from Jango, and Jango asked the makers for a clone for himself to raise as his son - Boba, he was definately a clone as seen in "Attack of the Clones".

Sorry for the spoil Jimbo !

oh,i never knew that,thanks mate. :angry:

I saw it the other day.

My personal summary:

Bad writing - especially the annikin - princess whatsername scenes...painful.

Good plot - an underrated plot - if you think about the entire plot from the last 3 films is a level above what Hollywood usually gives us. Not knowing exacly whats going to happen next is a rarity in movies these days.

Bad acting - from everybody. Every last one of them.

Looked fantastic - The computer graphics seemed less syntheic than usual.

All things considered, I really enjoyed it ! ( I'm a little suprised )

Some of the writing was pretty clunky and as usual the movie was unevenly paced ( the end was a bit rushed ) but hey, it was fun! :angry:

One other criticism is that some of the swordfight scenes ( especially the Emperors ) seemed a little...cramped. But on the other hand I thought they managed to dovetail with the start of the original Star wars quite nicely, its quite difficult to make a film watchable when everybody and his mother knows precisely what the situation will be at the end, so I think they did a damn fine job.

I agree with what Ursus said, in Star wars the impression was given that these events were long in the past, although I suppose technically the timeline does add up ( ish ).

None of the new movies were a patch on the originals, but I think to recapture the original vibe was too much too ask. To not be a complete embarrassment I regard as an achievement.

Basically it was one cool nostalgia trip for me. I thought how the various ships and stuff ( proto tie - fighters, Imperial destroyers etc ) was dead cool.

What swung it for me was:

a ) The bit when yoda smashed the two Imperial guard dudes off the wall. Sweet.

b ) That they didn't make an animated Chewie. They stuck a man in a hairy suit, just like they should have, and for that I am eternally grateful.

In short it didn't completely suck, which is all a Star Wars film has to do for me to think its great. :(