UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Briton

Military Styles

Which equipment set and style would you prefer?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which equipment set and style would you prefer?

• Early Republic
    • Late Republic
    • Early Empire
    • Middle Empire
    • Late Empire
    • Dying Days

Early Republic. Not sure how early the topic creator meant, but I took the term to mean during the times of the manipular legion.

Wow Late Republic and dying days is popular :)

I would say early empire. Weapons, tactics and disipline were all strong. One weakness however was the mass enlistment and discharge of leigons. A system continually infusing new men would have been better.

As far away from Rome is possible, keeping busy with various construction projects and serving as centers of Romanatis for the provinces. The army's value as a cultural weapon seems to be severely underrated....

I voted late republic because Caesar proved these work as the other guy has already said. Also because this was the dawn of Rome as the ABSOLUTE POWER!

I voted Early Empire. Rome when at it's peak could afford the most expansive military expeditions and ended up conquering a large amount of it's largest rival, the Parthians, as well as the Dacians.

I chose Late Empire. My personal view is that the Army was more flexible in this period. The Legions fared better against the Persians as they now had effective cavalry to guard their flanks. Illyrian mounted infantry had the capacity to rapidly assemble a force just where the enemy didn't want it, and field armies did not degenerate due to being tied to a fortification for generations.

I chose middle empire. I think the main mistake is training non-italians instead of letting people govern themselves with a sword to their back in case they got any ideas. And the province can send tributes or get plundered for the tribute, their choice. No military training, no financial aid, not even a roman style provincial government. I consider everyone on the italian peninsula south of gaul and in sicilia...italian.