UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Military Styles

Which equipment set and style would you prefer?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which equipment set and style would you prefer?

• Early Republic
    • Late Republic
    • Early Empire
    • Middle Empire
    • Late Empire
    • Dying Days

I picked the early Republic because those guys were absolutely relentless. You could wipe out an entire Roman Army and they would be back the next year with another one. How many times did Hannibal crush the Romans in battle without being able to break their fighting spirit?

The only way you could have possibly defeated the Romans of the early Republic would have been to exterminate all the men of fighting age.

• 1 month later...

I would choose middle empire myself. By this point Roman arms and armor have reached a pinnicle of perfection with perhaps the exception of the rise of the cataphract in the east in later history. Archers and artilliary were even well used. Moral was high, the legions were dedicated and the best men chosen from all across the still robust empire. While it is true to say that Caesar's 10th was late republic and were quite extraordinary soldiers, I take this question to mean that you were given a general assortment for the time, thus my answer. :)

• 1 month later...

Probably just after marian reforms, as this could quickly produce a large army, and the romans begin implimenting auxillias. Although whether or not having foreign people fighting for is a good idea or not, it meant that the romans could concentrate on being heavy infantry (which they had to a fine art) and getting auxillia to fight with skills they were famed for using. Like using sarmatians or numdians etc. In effect attempting to create an army that can deal with almost anything (in theory)

Hehe, I prefer style over usefulness :unsure: . So I'm gonna go with Late Republic and Early empire.

I'm with you there Flavius. If I was gonna rule, I'd do it in class. Other wise I'd have to say a combination of the battle hardened troops and skillful tactics of the late republic-early empire combined with the arms and armor of the middle empire where they had reached the perfection in how to use everything in a battle field.