UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
longbow

Time Team

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites...andig/index.jsp

Time team are doing another nationwide dig,anyone getting involved?

I would love to if I lived there. :blink:

I wonder if RB is going to get involved any. Not only are they doing a dig (Time Team) but museums are going to be opening new shows, its a big Roman Britain awareness thing that going to be happening this month and next.

I suggest that will be good show. I imagine archaeological dig more serious deal then Time Team

And what is wrong with popularising Roman history. Isn't this what we all want really. If more people took an interest in Roman History, then maybe, more facts might be known and therefore more understanding of the real Roman world as we know it. Also, us re-enactors might get more work as a big result of this.

Time team are doing another nationwide dig,anyone getting involved?

And what is wrong with popularising Roman history. Isn't this what we all want really. If more people took an interest in Roman History, then maybe, more facts might be known and therefore more understanding of the real Roman world as we know it. Also, us re-enactors might get more work as a big result of this.

I wanted to say that isn

I suppose it depends on where you are going to dig and what you are hoping to find. If I were taking part in the big dig, I would dig in my local area simply because my home town is surrounded by at least 3 or 4 Roman sites also a major Roman Road runs through the main street in the town. So I would be very interested in taking part and to see if I could locate a site that would link my street to the Roman sites around us.

Yes, it is big success to live in such historical place. My dig are interesting too, but they are organized so badly. I should write about them later when I'll find something valuable.

First programme was shown tonight,its running for the rest of the week.Tonights programme started of the digs at the major sites and tomorrows show is going to concentrate on life in the Army.

Chichester finds include wine vessels the top of a Legionaries helmet some neck segmenta and a sword scabbard dating from 10bc,this hardly supports a earlier invasion theory.

Mine

unfortunatly the site of the Mine was so heavily polluted that its unsafe to work(arsenic is a bi- product of Lead smelting) .In the top soil they found evidence of Religuse activity and tiles from a bath house?i wouldnt of thought the miners had a bath house so there must of been high status people living in the vicinity of the mine.

Romanised celtic site

A Celtic site with evidence of weapon production,finds include spear points and knives and a Roman coin minting press.There was a Roundhouse a timber Roman villa with a mosaic floor(yellow/blue and purple) when they built the villa they allso filled the defensive ditch in around the site.

Annatolian wall

evidence on this site was a Roundhouse ,roman foodstuffs(grapes/wheat) the Archeoligists were hinting at a peacefull coexistence between the locals and the Romans.

Roman fort in Wales

A huge complex which consists of two forts,the earlier one is dated at 50AD and the later at 80AD,the finds are Spanish amphora gaming pieces cremation pits and some Malvernian ware.There was allso a large local population living outside the Roman fort walls,another peacefull co existence.

Heres a list of the Dig sites

Big Roman dig

I thought that the programme was very interesting and I certainly learnt some new stuff, such as that the Romans actually went into Wales. Previously I thought that they went just past Chester and stopped but to find that they had a line of forts right across South Wales was amazing. Also I never thought that they went further than the Antonine Wall. What a surprise that was. But you are right about the theory of an earlier invasion. But I was wondering if the Romans knew of the good agricultural land and the mines, then surely someone had had to visit previously to find these things out!

Well done Time Team and I can't wait for tonights programme.

Mine

unfortunatly the site of the Mine was so heavily polluted that its unsafe to work(arsenic is a bi- product of Lead smelting) .In the top soil they found evidence of Religuse activity and tiles from a bath house?i wouldnt of thought the miners had a bath house so there must of been high status people living in the vicinity of the mine.

It's very interestingly but I want to ask how you determine value and age of your founds? I suggest most of people who take part in the digs haven't special education.

And what is you personal impression of this dig? ;)

how you determine value and age of your founds?

just to clarify,there not my finds i seen them on the telly ;) I suppose the value is determined by what the objects made of (gold/jems etc),the rarety of the find or the importance of the object,the Vindolanda tablets are made of wood but there incredibly valuable due to the information they give us.

I suggest most of people who take part in the digs haven't special education.

Well,the Big Roman Dig is trying to get people interested in Roman Archeology in there local area, so theres a lot of schools and such taking part,or just ordinary folk in there back gardens.The main sites which are featured on the tv are dug by Archeologists with student help.

And what is you personal impression of this dig?

I think its very good!my personal favorite site is Llandeilo

Lacertus, I would like to say that an item is not necessarily valuable because of what it is made of, but its value is determined by what part of history it is connected to and where in adjacent to buildings, etc it is found. With regards to how they can date finds, all sites will be visited by professional archaeologists or people can take their finds to the local museum who will date their finds and tell them of the history of their finds.

Lacertus, I would like to say that an item is not necessarily valuable because of what it is made of, but its value is determined by what part of history it is connected to and where in adjacent to buildings, etc it is found.

I meant this but maybe I couldn't say it right. English isn't my native language and I can confuse with mean of some words.

I apologise if I have misread what you said but really this programme is excellent and I will continue to watch it with great interest. By the way last night, they found the most intricate design mosaic that has been found in Britain, it is comparable with the designs that are commonly found in the mediteranean region. Tonight they will be putting the sections together to form the large reconstructed mosaic. So lets wait and see what it turns out to be of. I will keep you updated.

It is to be regretted for me that I can not see this programm. Alas... :lol:

Great thanx, Longbow, for information about the sites. Really very interesting!

I am delighted with any found which I excavated myself. Thus I can understand common pleasure of dig.

Thanx, Maximus. I'll wait news.