UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
leedx7

Roman Questions

I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions I have regarding some of the lesser known aspects of the Roman Republic/early Empire (or any contemporary society such as celts or Greeks) that seem to escape mention.

I know that Roman women were fond of makeup, so appearance was obviously important, but did they shave their legs? Did they have an equivalent to wax?

I know that the colour purple denoted rank as it was expensive, but what colour denoted poverty? i.e. what were the cheaper and more common colours used for clothing?

What would a run-of-the-mill Roman middle-class citizen be likely to wear on a day to day basis?

Did the Romans ever wear hats?

What did Roman men (or anyone from that time period) use to shave with?

I presume there were fashions (such as particular cut of toga being preferred for one period, or a particular type of makeup, haircut or beard) but is there any evidence for this? And if so, did it conform to the norm now, which is that the rich/famous set the trends and the poor imitate?

Were moustaches considered barbarian (I can find no mentioned of 'tached Romans although beards were a fashion at one stage I think)?

I know that Gladiators were the equivalent of celebrities, and I presume Senators courted the

from what I've read:

I know that Roman women were fond of makeup, so appearance was obviously important, but did they shave their legs? Did they have an equivalent to wax?

They used pumice stone. (OUCH!!)

I know that the colour purple denoted rank as it was expensive, but what colour denoted poverty? i.e. what were the cheaper and more common colours used for clothing?

Sort of a dirty off whitish color (undyed fabric in other words)

What did Roman men (or anyone from that time period) use to shave with?

A horrendous excuse for a razor. May have been made from bronze but I'm not sure.

I know that Gladiators were the equivalent of celebrities, and I presume Senators courted the

Did the Romans ever wear hats?

They had flopy hats and short ones, also many priests had special conical hats.

I presume there were fashions (such as particular cut of toga being preferred for one period, or a particular type of makeup, haircut or beard) but is there any evidence for this? And if so, did it conform to the norm now, which is that the rich/famous set the trends and the poor imitate?

I think it would be correct to say that the rich formed the trends, but we know next to nothing about what the poor did because they did not leave us inscriptions or statues. I think in general the poor didn't give a damn about style and just did what was practical. Getting tonight's dinner was far more important. You can find all sorts of evidense for styles, from statues, archaeological remains, and even in the histories.

Caesar was known to use tweezers to remove unwanted hair.

Were moustaches considered barbarian (I can find no mentioned of 'tached Romans although beards were a fashion at one stage I think)?

Barbarians on Trajans column were depicted as shaggy and unshaven, whereas the legionarries were clean cut, so yeah, I'd assume that is a reasonable hypothesis.

Well to answer some of these random questions,

The Romans thought that having a beard was either Barbaric, or you were a philopsher. Alot of peole thought that facial hair was undesirable and was the sign of a drunk who couldn't take care of himself.

On Bars and restraunts most of the city of Rome ate out at bars and restraunts because they couldn't cook in their own homes because their was no space and it was dangerous, a simple greese fire could turn deadly. So they chose not to chance it and just went to eat out everynight. Thats really cool I think.

And on the types of foods Roman ate...though it's not one of the questions......The Romans thought beef and pig were "barabric" and were much more inclined to fish and bird meat. Just a fact!

Zeke

Full Beards were more a Greek trend but a few Hellenised Roman men were known to sport beards, for example Hadrian. Most Romans were clean shaven whilst Roman slaves were not allowed to shave their beards at all. Barbarians were often depicted with shaggy beards so one can safely assume that the average Male roman citizen probably was clean shaven. They used iron novacila (Roman razors) to shave and usually had a slave to do this for them or visited a tonsor (barber).

And on the types of foods Roman ate...though it's not one of the questions......The Romans thought beef and pig were "barabric" and were much more inclined to fish and bird meat. Just a fact!

Actually, no

The Romans ate pork often and beef was eaten in special ocations.

Here's another couple of random questions:

What were Roman books like? I assume they were scrolls, but how were they stored if there were lots of them? I'm thinking of stuff like the Odyssey, Iliad etc.

Also, what about letters, like Paul's ones in the Bible?

The other thing was, how did people store their things, like money and other personal belongings? Some books I've read say 'in the breast of their tunics' - how does that work? Did they just stuff things down their shirts?

How did ancient people trim their nails? Did they use a type of scissors?

Probably just any blade, or their teeth if not wealthy hehe.

They did use scissars. There is the knowlege that they have been using from time of etruscan.

Maybe teeth are more convenient for you.

How did ancient people trim their nails? Did they use a type of scissors?

Probably just any blade, or their teeth if not wealthy hehe.

They did use scissars. There is the knowlege that they have been using from time of etruscan.

Maybe teeth are more convenient for you.

Is that an insult?

About the 'scissars,' can your prove your idea? I have heard of larger scale scissors for textile applications, but never something fine.

At any rate, even if they did exist and were used for trimming nails, only the most wealthy could use them most certainly.

What were Roman books like? I assume they were scrolls, but how were they stored if there were lots of them? I'm thinking of stuff like the Odyssey, Iliad etc.

Also, what about letters, like Paul's ones in the Bible?

I think probably 99% of any writings were stored in scroll form. Honestly I don't think the book form even existed anywhere at this time, but I could be wrong. They DID however have metal tablets which could be bound into a rough book form for the most inportant of writings, things such as the Twelve Tables.

The other thing was, how did people store their things, like money and other personal belongings? Some books I've read say 'in the breast of their tunics' - how does that work? Did they just stuff things down their shirts?

Probably in as many ways as you can imagine. Unless you were pretty wealthy you did not have a home that was very theft secure in the cities, so chances are you hid them under a tile or some other cunning place, or carried it on you. (As in money). Belt pouches, pouches tied around the neck, tunic sown pouches, you name it.

Is that an insult?

About the 'scissars,' can your prove your idea? I have heard of larger scale scissors for textile applications, but never something fine.

At any rate, even if they did exist and were used for trimming nails, only the most wealthy could use them most certainly.

Scissors were very simply instrument. Ansient scissors are in many museums. In this case it is not need to evidence this fact. Just go to museum and look the pertinent exhebition.

Scissors for reach people were more elegant. In that is all difference.

I know this because it is my competence.

Yes but what size? One cannot really use large sicssors used for textiles and such for their fingernails. These scissors would have to be small. To you speak of miniature scissors? Or are you thinking of a clipper who's use would be unmistakable?