UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
leedx7

Roman Bath

Does anyone know of a resource for information about the Roman occupation and expansion of Bath? Bit obscure I know, but any help would be appreciated.

I have already dredged the official website and the handful of tiny mentions in tourism guides, but anything more substantial would be welcome.

Have you tried Wessex Archaeology who may have publications about Bath? They are a nice bunch and very helpful. Remember Phil Harding aka Time Team he works for Wessex Archaeology!!!

Barry Cunliffe has written two books about 'The temple of Sulis Minerva at Bath', en one book (in 1984) called Roman Bath discovered. I haven't read them, but I'm sure they are full of information about the Roman occupation of the site.

I remember reading somwhere that the baths were considered absolutely essential, and that almost every relativly large city had one.

Later on when the old wooden camps of the legionaries started to become more stony, or permament, not that different from medieval castles. There was bath in almost every one of them, and a small (many times wooden) amphitheatre, althought they rearly saw any real gladiator matches they were used for other celebrations.