UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ladies of Beautiful Hair

Fulvia

The information you never knew you wanted to know. A hairstylist/ amateur experimental archaeologist has, what she claimed, successfully recreated the hair style of the Vestal Virgins, and also of many brides, the sine crines. Since hair styles were so important to social status, social function and even religious duties, it is quite interesting to see this style put forward as a very likely candidate to in fact reveal a detail of religious duty that would have been vitally important to the Romans. Unlike other hair styles which very obviously have fads that can be easily followed, ie. conservative hair styles from the Republic vs. the Flavian hair, it would appear that the Vestal Virgin's own style changed little to none over the years. A testament to the need for religious purity as seen through the hair styles perhaps?

The article and demonstrative video for your viewing pleasure:

Unveiling the Sine Crines

• 3 weeks later...

Wow: I almost missed this interesting post.

Janet Stephens has done some interesting and insightful "amateur" research.

Here is a previous post discussing the Ancient hair style of Julia Domna with reference to her work:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/topic/15740-julia-domnas-hairstyle-wig-v-natural/

Thank you for posting,

guy also known as gaius

That was so cool...and the funny part is that, as a child and a teenager, I used to try to do something like that on my own.  Little did I know that I was trying to be like a Roman!

Oh the days of long, flowing hair... *sigh*

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hair took the place of our designer bags - probably.   A way to sliently show how upper class you were by how much time and how intricate you could get your hair .... also henna coloring and such - a game for rich ladies.

:)  

That being said, I like the care taken with the long flowing locks ..... but I couldn't must the patience to do it myself.