UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
parthianbow

Roman authors walk Hadrian's Wall in full military gear

In late April/early May, I, Anthony Riches (Hodder author, Empire
series) and Russell Whitfield (Myrmidon author, Gladiatrix novels, and lanista on this forum) will
be walking Hadrian's Wall, in full Roman gear. I will be dressed as a hastatus of the Second Punic War, Tony as a late Roman infantryman and Russ as a 1st/2nd C AD auxiliary.

We'll be posting lots of updates and photos as we walk; I'm also going
to try to arrange one or two days when readers who are interested can
join us on the hike.

We

post-5491-0-79873100-1361170476_thumb.jpg

post-5491-0-69617400-1361170504_thumb.jpg

A lovely crisp tenner is winging its way to you. All the best with this endeavour; especially with the oceans of mud you'll encounter (I'm sorry, but barring some kind of heatwave, it's almost inevitable!)

That's really kind - thank you!

And I know there'll be lots of mud...but at least that will give the hobnails on my boots something to grip in...!

Sounds like a stunning adventure, anticipating those stories and photos you will post along the way.  How and where are donations sent? I have a huge tin of saved pennies - just kidding. I can always turn them over to the bank for cash. :thumbsup:

@Crispina: thanks for your post, and my apologies for not replying before now.

We've actually reached our target already, which is incredible, but as there are nearly two months to go until the walk, we've raised the bar again - so if you still feel like giving, please do so! Thanks.

I so wish I were closer - I would join you for a day walk; or even the whole thing if you would have me.

Unfortunately, I can't get away this year.

I will wait impatiently for you to share all you dare .....   

@Metella: sorry that you can't join us - May 1st is the day, if things change for you. We're having a book signing in a bookshop in Corbridge that evening too, and then going for beers afterwards....

I want to add more images from my training sessions, but the 'image' tab clicks through to a url link. I've searched all the buttons, but can't find one to attach a file. Can anyone help?

Error - sorry, no photos attached.

Edited by parthianbow

@Metella: sorry that you won't be able to join us. May 1st is the day if things change for you - after the day's walking, we are having a signing in a bookshop in Corbridge, followed by some/many beers!

The following show me in almost complete hastatus gear, complete with wool leggings against the chill. Missing cardiophylax (breast and back plate) and sword.

Scary prospect imagining thousands of them charging: a volley of javelins at thirty paces, and then shield bosses in the face, or cold iron in the belly.

The third is the hastatus' dressing room/my office, with some gear, after a walk.

Also, the evidence that I am bleeding for this cause - even if only a little bit! The stain on the sock equates to the bandaged toe...

charitygiving.co.uk/benkane if any of you feel like giving.

Thanks!

post-5491-0-47708000-1362524270_thumb.jpg

post-5491-0-91595700-1362524313_thumb.jpg

post-5491-0-51987100-1362524228_thumb.jpg

post-5491-0-81725400-1362524146_thumb.jpg

Edited by parthianbow

To increase people's interest, we have set up a competition that will run for the next 7 days.

The prize is a signed copy of all (6) of my books, all (5) of Anthony Riches' books, and all (2) of Russell Whitfield's books, and a signed photo of us, mudsplattered, on the walk.

THESE PRIZES WILL BE MAILED TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD.

To enter, all you have to do is to donate

Edited by parthianbow

a soldier tender foot, how sweet.    (snark)

I so love those photos !    I have a farmette - and a vacation is a major planning event ....  I will drink a cold one in your honor on May Day.