UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Savior of the Empire?

Ave, I been for some time been thinking about who truely deserves the title of Savior of the Empire. Most people agree that both Constantine and Diocletian deserve the title, and I agree. However, recently I've been pondering, who deserves it more? Both saved the Empire in their own way, but if you to name one Savior of the Empire who would it be? In your opinion, who truely saved the Empire?

I've been debating this myself for some time, so now I'm interested in getting other people's opinion. I personally lean more towards Diocletian, but both have their high points and their flaws.

Wow.  Big subject!  You could go as far as to say Augustus, because he laid down much of the infrstructure that allowed it to continue on for so long, or even (and this is really pushing it) Marius for putting together the military processes that allowed the army to be so succesful.  But that's just toying with taking ideas to extremes.  Diocletian would have my vote.  Sorry not to be original.

I was going to go with Aurelian too, considering his title as the 'Restorer of the World'. He helped bring the seccessionist Gallic Empire back into the Roman fold, while putting down rebellions across the Empire. He also famously fought against the armies of Zenobia of Palmyra, and took back the lost eastern provinces from her control. A great but largely overlooked emperor, possibly because he was deeply disliked by the soldiers who assassinated him.

Aurelian - restitutor orbis. 

I don't suppose Heraclius or Leo III qualify (?)

Heraclius, although largely seen as a 'Byzantine' emperor is one of the greatest and most fascinating figures of late antiquity in my opinion. It was his tragedy to see the long struggle against the Sassanids come undone due to the Arab invasions. As John Norwich noted, he may very well have been placed on the same pedestal as Justinian and Constantine had he died at his greatest hour, rather than live to see his reconquest undone by the burgeoning Islamic empire.

Aurelian - restitutor orbis.

Say no more. Without Aurelian's reunification successes, there would have been no fourth and fifth century for the Roman Empire. There only would have been numerous successionist states whose future would have been determined by more local factors (usurpers, barbarian tribes, local economics, etc).

Interestingly, a future Christian conversion of the entire empire could not have occurred without a relatively unified Empire.

guy also known as giaus Edited by guy