UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Late Antiquity episodes on:

Ludovicus

The first seven episodes of this Joseph Hogarty podcast/slide show series contains very interesting commentary and rarely seen (for me, at least) art work on the transformation of the Western and Eastern Roman Empires during late antiquity.

http://www.ahistoryofeurope.eu/A_History_of_Europe/A_History_of_Europe.html

The emphasis here is on transformation rather than fall of the West. I'm generally of the fall position alla Ward Perkins, but Hogarty provides some good evidence and visuals for something more gradual, especially in Gaul and Hispania.

Thanks for the link Ludovicus! I'm looking forward to the podcasts. I have to agree with you that I also side with Bryan Ward-Perkins and Peter Heather on the fall of the Roman empire, even though that view may not be in vogue with many academics these days. I just can't seem to see the continuity between Roman and Post-Roman europe, especially in places like Britain, where there is considerable change and not continuity.

Yes, lots of information and visuals. Taken all together, the episodes could easily be designed as a semester course on the origins of Eurpean civilization.

Watched the first two episodes last night. Very, very interesting; but loads of information to absorb quickly.

Edited by Ludovicus

Thanks for the link Ludovicus! I'm looking forward to the podcasts. I have to agree with you that I also side with Bryan Ward-Perkins and Peter Heather on the fall of the Roman empire, even though that view may not be in vogue with many academics these days. I just can't seem to see the continuity between Roman and Post-Roman europe, especially in places like Britain, where there is considerable change and not continuity.

Hogarty, author of the podcast series, states flatly that the collapse in Britain was much more serious than on the Continent. What I found interesting was Hogarty's tracing of the long history of relationships between the Romans and the barbarians near the frontier.