UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Empire On Abc

Primus Pilus

Sitting halfway through tonight's episode, we find that 'Empire' strays wildly from history and into the realm of complete fiction. I won't even give it the credit of labelling it historical fiction.

Just some ridiculousness...

"Arkham" gladiator dungeon.. LOL

General Magonius

Brutus as Pontifex Maximus

The depiction of the Senate and its strange 'control' of the Republic

What happened to Antonius

etc. etc.

Alas... all hope now rests with HBO/BBC.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Magonius

etc. etc.

Bad. Really, really bad.

I'm sorry but into the second episode this series is rediculous. I will still watch it, in the hope that my contribution to ratings might actually do something, but shame on whatever idiot writer/director who corrupted the history. F'ing morons.

I missed the first episode. How was Julius Caesar portrayed?

Julius actually looked like Julius. They didn't show him for long enough to tell whether or not he acted like the real thing...I think they were more concerned with the senate then Caesar himself. All in all I think their protrayal of Caesar was fairly accurate.

I hope this isn't off topic but I think it's hilarious how striking the resemblance between Cassius and Dubya :D

General Magonius

etc. etc.

There was also the depiction of Hurtius and Pansa as a couple of goofy looking idiots picked out at random. As I'm sure we all know the consulships had already been decided by Caesar for the next 4-5 years ahead of his Parthian campaign. Hurtius and Pansa were Caesarian moderates who played a key role. Its frustrating for me why on earth these producers feel the need to invent. The truth is not only compelling, its entertaining.

Oh my gods......when Brutus was appointed Pontifex Maximus I almost smashed the screen in with a hamer, I was horrified!

It was Amelius Lepdius that was appointed Pontifex Maximus until his death in like 11 B.C or something and then Octavian took over his role as the main priest to enrich his power.

And they make the Senate look like their the ultimate bad guys, when in relity they wern't as evil and bad as they appeared.

Geez, that show is so off track, disgusting! lol

But I am still going to watch it to point out all the errors.

Zeke

I've watched both and simply been too busy to post until now. But I have returned to say what I'm sure by now everyone already knows: The series is a complete bust.

I had my first reservations when they took liberties in the storyline of Octavian. One, the beginning of the series has Iulius informing young Octavian that he is not to accompany him on the Parthian campaign, which we know he was to partake in. Two, he was NOT in Rome during the assassination, but instead at Apollonia in Illyricum, preparing to go on the said Parthian Campaign. Further portrayal of Octavian as a complete teenage hormone driven lad is out of character. His "uncle" had given him ample opportunities from command of a cavalry wing in the Hispania campaign to serving as Master of the Horse under Caesar's dictatorship. This is contrary to the "My Uncle hates me" mentality that is depicted throughout the film.

As to the second episode? I don't warrant it a lengthy comment. I shall instead end by declaring the series heresy and worthy of being burned in the fire, its contents being erased from the memory of man.

Marcus Justinus, Divine Republic

Well said... I will still watch tonight however as some sort of sadistic punishment for myself.

I looked up the ratings for the show, btw. They are quite abysmal, and judging by the series cost, I'm sure it will not enter into a continuing season. I think 'Rome' will fair much better, people will expect better and it should be proven out. (fingers crossed)

Well said... I will still watch tonight however as some sort of sadistic punishment for myself.

Me too :(

I think this is a "six hour movie" (I read that somewhere) meaning that we have 3 more episodes to go.

Destroy all of it excpept Tyrannus (yes, I am female LOL) :)