UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Empire On Abc

Primus Pilus

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've been watching this as well.

Saw the latest this evening. Words... fail me.

It's a terrible, terrible shame that many people are going to accept this as written history. But, then again, is anyone besides Romanophiles watching? No explanation for Mark Antony's recent "disappearance" in last week's episode... but he's now safely "home" in his "Villa."

Having orgies.

I see.

I don't suppose anyone thought to look for him in Alexandria? :)

This story has gotten so fantastically ficticious that I actually stood and applauded when Marcus Agrippa was introduced... I even overlooked the fact that he shouldn't have to introduced himself, as he was a good friend of Octavian. Speaking of which, why is he still referring to himself as Gaius Octavius?

That aside, I was about to write off Agrippa as another victim of the reckless re-writing of history. After all, they left out Lepidus, an entire leg of the Second Triumvirate, and gave his title to Brutus.

And.. the senate offers Octavian the governorship of Gaul? I suppose the role of Pontifex Maximus must be keeping Brutus quite busy :)

Well, I shant go on about it. I tried to keep a record of the inaccuracies, but it's grown so long, it's easier to discuss what was right. Um... Marcus Agrippa has appeared, and he's on Octavian's side. That's technically accurate.

Everything else, suffice to say, is very very wrong. It's depressing, really. I'll keep watching, but only for the purpose of rebuttal. :)

I dont think i'll bother looking for a download of "Empire" after reading your replies,i'll wait for the BBC/HBO effort.(hope they do a better job)

L

Yes, though I watched most of it, I gave up commenting on the brutality of its plot. Its shameless destruction of incredibly well known and interesting history (which is affecting the ratings I believe) will now make other execs think twice before trying 'period' television series.

Aggripa was blond haired boy??? How authentic is that, wasn't he Italian and had black hair. And why does everyone have a British accent? Why can't they get people who look like Romans!!!

And Mark Anthony putting Asps in the beds of the Senators? That is very very sad. Mark Anthony was a drunken idiot and a womanizer in reality, though he was a high general under Caeser he didn't pay much attention to politics and was only powerful because he commanded some Legions. He didn't have the intelligence to put Asps in people's bed. He was a fool basically and he was weak and a horrible tactician according to history. I have a feeling that Caeser simply put him in a high command because he was so stupid he would never betray him! lol:

And where was his Villa? And why is Octavian so stupid? I would think the guy would be smarter...this show is horrible. I give it like a 2/10 only because I like Roman stuff and the costumes.

Are the costumes even authentic!!!?!?!?!?

I can't wait to mock the next show,

Zeke

Don't knock the historical Antonius too much. Yes he was a brute, but keep in mind that the victors wrote history and Antonius was not among them. He had his share of political failures (ie serving as Caesar's master of horse in Rome while Caesar was in Egypt) but he had his victories as well (Caesar's funeral oration, securing the governorship of Gaul, the second triumvirate, securing the east, etc.)

Guest GREGORIUS

RE: EMPIRE: FIRST, THANKS FOR THIS COOL SITE ON ROME. THE EMPIRE SERIES IS FLASHY, AND I AM WATCHING IT, BUT THE HISTORICAL DISTORTION IS GETTING TO BE TOO MUCH. ASPS IN OCTAVIAN'S BED AT MARC ANTONY'S VILLA? UH, SOMEONE GOT CONFUSED-THATS'S CLEO, I THINK, DOWN THE ROAD. AND NOW WE HAVE BEEN BRIEFLY INTRODUCED TO A GOOD LOOKING YOUNG BLOND MAN ON MARC ANTONY'S STAFF (NOT!), WHO INTRODUCES HIMSELF AS AGRIPPA TO THE RATHER PUNY YOUNG OCTAVIAN. OF COURSE, THIS IS THE AGRIPPA, I AM GUESSING, WHO DESTROYS CLEO'S AND MARC'S COMBINED FLEET AT ACTAEUM. IT IS ALL JUST TOO MUCH TO SWALLOW. I THOUGHT THE GLADIATOR-PROTECTOR WOULD BE THE PROBLEM. AT LEAST, HE IS INTERESTING. BY THE WAY, THE MARC ANTONY ACTOR IS FAR AND AWAY THE BEST. I AGREE WITH ALL WHO SAY OCTAVIAN IS FAR TOO WEAK AND INDECISIVE TO BE THE TRUE OCTAVIAN, WHO FROM WHAT I READ HAD ALL OF HIS GREAT-UNCLE'S CUNNING AND BRAINS. AS SINGLE AND THE BRAND NEW GREAT UNCLE TO TWO HANDSOME BOYS, I AM NOW PARTIAL TO THE IDEA THAT QUALITIES FLOW DOWN FROM GREAT UNCLE TO GREAT NEPHEW, AS THEY DID WITH CAESAR AND OCTAVIAN-LATER CAESAR AUGUSTUS. GREGORIUS

I've been a big fan of Roman history for a while but I'm just really getting into it lately. I find it great to see I'm not the only one with major problems with Empire. I was just wondering if there's any truth to Anthony's obsession with dogs (Sulla and Marius no less), it seems like an odd thing to put in if it didn't have some basis in fact. The same could be said of "Arkham" but I digress.