UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Aphrodisias

treviss

Hi,

I am a new one here, and I apologize form my english, because I am not british. I have some questions to classical archeologists. I am preparing the report about the reliefs of Aphrodisias, and i have some troubles with that. On the picture below, there is an emperor, but which one? Is it August or Claudius, and why? 
3887962834_e27070cc28.jpg
My second question is about the books. Do you know any opportunities to get these books on PDF? 
J.Reynolds, Aphrodisias and Rome
K.Erim Aphrodisias: City of Venus Aphrodite

I don't know for sure, but I guess Augustus:

http://www.wmf.org/project/aphrodisias-archaeological-site

Aphrodisias, named after its patron goddess Aphrodite, was founded in the 2nd century B.C. on the site of a rural sanctuary of Aphrodite. In the 1st century B.C., Aphrodisias came under the protection of the first Roman Emperor, Augustus, and this initiated a period of prosperity and growth

I doubt Claudius, however, since he was hardly a patron of the Eastern Arts. Less likely than Augustus would be Hadrian and even Nero. The sculpture does not look like Hadrian (no beard) or Nero (too thin).

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

I'm still not certain that your sculpture is of any emperor. Frontal nude statues of Augustus were rare, but did exist, however. If it were an emperor, it would be of Augustus.

The Aphrodisias museum in Turkey looks to have a beautiful collection. The statue is found at the 3:54 point of this video (the audio is very nice):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fwTevYyFbE

This promotional video for Aphrodisias is quite tempting:

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy