UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ludovicus

Horses tamed earlier than previously thought

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21538969

Important new finds on the Arabian Peninsula push back horse culture 3,000 years:

"While archaeologists and other experts have held that horses were first
tamed and exploited by man some 6,000 years ago in west Kazakhstan,
experts are now starting to consider whether both location and date
should be revised in light of these remarkable finds."

Well - speaking as a horse owner - and not even reading the article (sorry - sick and coughing)

Since we know that chariots, breeding and such were well established (key word well) during Alexander's time .....  Just realizing how long it would take slow breeding animals such as horses to produce reliable traits .... how long to build human skill sets with horses .... I would say that is totally reasonable.

You can get 1 off-spring a year from a mare; but more likely would be one every other year ... and so that is a very slow rate.

Well - speaking as a horse owner - and not even reading the article (sorry - sick and coughing)

Since we know that chariots, breeding and such were well established (key word well) during Alexander's time .....  Just realizing how long it would take slow breeding animals such as horses to produce reliable traits .... how long to build human skill sets with horses .... I would say that is totally reasonable.

You can get 1 off-spring a year from a mare; but more likely would be one every other year ... and so that is a very slow rate.

So the longer period rings true for you. Interesting. Take your liquids and get some rest. I think you'll like the article.