UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Interesting Intro to Roman History. Thoughts?

Here's an interesting set of animated videos that are a nice intro to Ancient Roman Society. Any opinions?

guy also know as gaius

I can't see anything. Is it just the iPhone app hiding them?

Thanks for trying! It comes up on the PC, although the image smaller than usual.

I hope the "upper management" addresses this glitch.

guy also known as gaius

You can access the video links by hitting the quote button... I had to do this on android, but not win8.

The videos were interesting attempts to grab attention of youth, but heavy on the leftest victimology framework... An exaggerated but veiled commentary on more modern history and how it should be legislated. If this was presented as an anthropology 101 project, it would be failed due to stereotyping the society as if they had your aspirations and were stuck in chains of their own culture. Rather you should either respect or agnosticize their own values, and recognize their real tradeoffs and context. Look at the peace and prosperity within Rome vs without, for instance.

Got them (after much copying/pasting).

I probably haven't got the in depth analysis that you provided, CN, but I found them engaging and learnt a few interesting 'nuggets'. They're in the style of some corporate videos nowadays, aimed to make them less dry/dull, but seemingly incongruous with their content. (Bring back Cleese, Corbett and Barker). Works for me, but is the appropriate/targeted audience limited? (Bring back Horrible Histories).

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Horrible Histories should be ressurected.

The videos I found entertaining, the animation was especially entertaining. As a video to wet someone's appetitite and leave a few tidbits behind I would vote for them. Something to play in "Your First Roman Course" class or the like.

Cool... On android jellybean I side loaded my free ICS version of boat browser, which does not seem to be directly offered to native jellybeaners. I set the browser mode from android to desktop and the videos show up fine on this forum. No size problem in either my new 11.5 inch China tablet or 13 inch convertible win8 laptop. Either something changed here, or more likely boat browser rules the world... solved most of my other probs too.