UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Skill of Warriors in Martial Arts alter the outcome of Battles?

We already all know that a unit formation is superior to that of an individual fighters and Armies that fought like teams will destroy individual fighters.

But when I play Shogun:Total War, I notice the Nodachi Samura easily wipe out a pair of Yari Ashigaru (militia) slicing through them rather easily. Even the Samurai Archers, who don't specialize in the Japanese Sword Arts, would beat a unit of Yari Ashigaru 8 out of 10 times once they switch to melee. The Yari Ashigaru barely received any training in the martial arts.

Even in battles where trained mass formations fought, units that are highly trained in martial arts would beat those that only receive basic training. Granted the Yari Samurai were far better trained in the art of using spears as weapon and have shown to fight off very well in positions that would get most Spearmen of other civilizations slaughtered (getting out of formation, fighting on rocky terrain,etc.) because they are actually trained in the Japanese spear arts (not to the extent of a master though) rather than relying on formations.

But send in some NoDachi Samurai (who are in-game trained by schools of Japanese swordsmanship developed by battle-hardened master swordsmen) and all other things equal a NoDachi Samura unit would destroy a Yari Samurai unit in the game. Send in the Warrior Monk (who are the best units in the game and have spent their WHOLE LIVES mastering the Japanese martial arts) and the Monk units will often slaughter against overwhelming numbers to victory (even in enemies in rigid formations). Though it should be stated as opposed to most individual fighters like the Celts in history, the Warrior Monk in the game are shown as using formations and could use flanking tactics,etc.

But playing Shogun:Total War and seeing units that are individually well-trained as fighters destroy units in rigid deadly formations like the Spear Walls made me wonder how much the skill of the Warriors would affect the outcome of a battle.

Now I know the Japanese were an exception the rule that even their hardened Elites who mastered Martial Arts used formations and flanking. They would technically be anything but the individual fighters the Celts and lots of other armies were. 

Seeing the NoDachi Samurai break Spear Walls apart (including the trained Yari Samurais) and seeing the Warrior Monks kill enemies in rigid formations VERY easily made me wonder.

In addition their are times in the game where I got enemies completely flanked on all sides but they fight so viciously even when their formations are broken up and it becomes a chaotic melee that they practically scare several UNITS of soldiers to flee away. In the bigger battles I even seen the master martial artists slice their way into my leader and killing him thus winning the battles as my unit runs away!

Is the emphasize on "mass formations" and "team work" a bit too much on its importance in battle?Do many Military Historians and Military Theorists underestimate the effectiveness of warriors who have mastered single combat? I mean even assuming your units is rigidly disciplined and mastered the art of formations, if they could not properly wield a sword and block and parry wouldn't they just be walking into their deaths?

Playing Shogun:Total War and recently reading Martial Art texts after being inspired by it makes me wonder........