UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Origin of sighthounds and there place in the culture

hampton20

I am looking for any references to dogs and specifically greyhounds or toy greyhounds as their origin appears to be in Greece and Egypt. There are many unsubstantiated references to Cleopatra having toy greyhounds and gifting puppies to Caesar. Any help or information on this subject is greatly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

There are many unsubstantiated references to Cleopatra having toy greyhounds and gifting puppies to Caesar.

Wow. I'm sorry I missed this post earlier.

I love greyhounds (and the related Whippets). They are my favorite breed of dogs.

Ovid (43 BCE to AD 17), in his Metamorposes, made reference to greyhounds.

"As when the greyhound sees the frightened hare
flit over the plain:--With eager nose outstretched
impetuous, he rushes on his prey,
and gains upon her till he treads her feet,
and almost fastens in her side his fangs;
but she, whilst dreading that her end is near,
is suddenly delivered from her fright;
so was it with the god and virgin: one
with hope pursued, the other fled in fear;
and he who followed, borne on wings of love,
permitted her no rest and gained on her,
until his warm breath mingled in her hair."

http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/Classics/OvidDaphne.htm

Julius Caesar and Cleopatra had their affair in 48 BCE, only a few years before this quote. I am confident that Cleopatra did not introduce the breed to the Romans since the breed was relatively common during the time of Ovid. Since I can't find an original reference of Cleopatra's giving Caesar greyhound pups, I think this may be apocryphal. l will keep searching, however.

I love those greyhounds (and whippets), though.

post-3665-0-14208100-1376848932_thumb.jpg

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Addendum (an interesting aside):

I usually try to approach these subjects with a modicum of scientific rigor.

I was surprised (and possibly disappointed) to learn that the modern greyhound is probably not related to the hounds found in Ancient Egypt.:

The...definitive study, "Genetic Structure of the Purebred Domestic Dog" (2004), used Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs), clumps of identical DNA strings that appear in groups of breeds, but often not in others. The study clearly showed that Salukis and Afghan Hounds [breeds thought to be found in Ancient Egypt] were part of an "Asian" group along with the Chow, Akita, and Shar-pei. Predictably, the Greyhound appeared in what I'll call the "Celtic" group along with the Irish Wolfhound, but also as a progenitor for more recent breeds including the Whippet, Borzoi, Belgian Sheepdog, Belgian Tervuren, Collie, Shetland Sheepdog, and the St. Bernard.

http://www.greyhoundinfo.org/?page_id=22

Despite many assertions to the contrary, greyhounds are not an "ancient" breed of dog nor is the breed the oldest pure breed of dog. Recent DNA evidence suggests that greyhounds are actually closely related to herding breeds (breeds such as cattle dogs, border collies, corgis and german shepherds), rather than dogs like the saluki or sloughi (the dogs featured in art and literature [of Ancient Egypt] that many assume to be greyhounds or their ancestors).

http://www.greyhoundhaven.com/aboutgreyhounds.htm

Therefore, our lovable greyhounds are not of Ancient Egyptian origin. Rather, these beautiful animals are of Celtic origin, if the DNA evidence is to be believed.

There is no reason to believe, therefore, that the greyhounds of Ancient Rome were imported from Cleopatra's Egypt.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

image.thumb.png.a82e5734c4c6de43f49291c5cca9ffda.png

This sculpture (in the British museum) was once thought to be from the ruins of the palace of Antoninus Pius. This statue was found near Civita Lavinia (modern Lanuzio) in Lazio, Italy and is dated from the second century AD of the Roman Empire.

Edited by guy