UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Artimi

Once more ...

Once more, I will attempt to learn Latin, but this time I am registered in a class at the local university.....  no more trying to learn on my own.    So it will be me and all the young'uns.

• Like 1

Best of luck. I wish I had the time and/or the remaining brain cells.

Great link, Auris. Thank you.

There have long been two gaps in my knowledge to the better understanding of Ancient Roman history: Latin and Ancient Roman numismatics.

Over the last several years I've worked hard to learn about Ancient Roman numismatics (although I don't collect coins).

Learning Latin, however, has been a real struggle. I function very well in Spanish, using it nearly daily at work for more than twenty years. My Italian, another Latin-derived language, is more than adequate to communicate with my relatives in Italy on a regular basis.

Learning Latin, however, has been a nearly impossible task. I lose my motivation as soon as I hear Latin,

Maybe my brain has ossified. Maybe Latin is so foreign to my ears. I would much rather review my Dutch (a far more guttural and harsh-sounding language) before my next trip to the Netherlands than review my Latin so I can speak Latin with...no one. At least when I practice my Dutch, I can annoy my Dutch friends and...I can pretend I am speaking the tongue of some Ancient Germanic Batavian tribe.

guy also known as gaius

I'm jealous too !   I'd love to learn latin - I only read some words (science)  but I don't really know how they are pronouced or the way to make it an acutal speaking language.

Maybe when I retire too !

I have always wanted to speak Latin too, but I tend to find it hard to get motivated as it's essentially a lot of hard work and there's virtually no one you can speak to outside of a classics department. One thing that does motivate me is the ability to be able to read a lot historical texts, not just Roman, that were written in Latin.

I really really thought I knew the difference between accusative and ablative case.... really, but I keep using endings for accusative for ablative.

Hopefully this too shall pass.

Chapter 3 done... sort of

Great link, Auris. Thank you.

There have long been two gaps in my knowledge to the better understanding of Ancient Roman history: Latin and Ancient Roman numismatics.

Over the last several years I've worked hard to learn about Ancient Roman numismatics (although I don't collect coins).

Learning Latin, however, has been a real struggle. I function very well in Spanish, using it nearly daily at work for more than twenty years. My Italian, another Latin-derived language, is more than adequate to communicate with my relatives in Italy on a regular basis.

Learning Latin, however, has been a nearly impossible task. I lose my motivation as soon as I hear Latin,

Maybe my brain has ossified. Maybe Latin is so foreign to my ears. I would much rather review my Dutch (a far more guttural and harsh-sounding language) before my next trip to the Netherlands than review my Latin so I can speak Latin with...no one. At least when I practice my Dutch, I can annoy my Dutch friends and...I can pretend I am speaking the tongue of some Ancient Germanic Batavian tribe.

guy also known as gaius

Hi Gaius,

Maybe you could try this one with your Dutch friends. Translate this sentence: "Caesar ad liver aspergus as augurques".

It's made-up Latin. When they don't know the answer, let them read it out loud.

In dutch it says: "Caesar prefers to eat asparagus rather than pickles."

Auris