UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Vinland Map

What do you think,real or fake?

L

Could anyone tell me how you change the name of the URL when you post a link,so i could have

"Vinland map" instead of all that http//webblahblahblahblah.

thanks

Vinland map

Thanks,now changed :(

I've always felt that the map had a certain unauthentic quality, but then again I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore. I don't think anyone really disputes Scandanavian arrival into North America centuries before Columbus anymore. Though the significance of Viking cartography could be ground breaking if the map ever was authenticated.

as far as using the url function.... The easiest way is to click the 'add the http' button at the top of the post. it will ask you for the link which you can paste in. Then it will offer a line to add in clicky text which by default will say 'My webpage'. Change it to anything appropriate.

Or you can simply type (as an example UNRV the home of the Roman Empire[/url ] (without the spaces between the = symbol and the text and no space after the last /url tag))

It might be authentic, it might not be. Like Primus Pilus said, it's probably indisputable they were the first Europeans in North America.

I know some Germanic/Norse cultural and religious groups seriously refer to the US & Canada as "Vinland" and the inhabitants of those countries as "Vinnish." They do this in honor of the achievements of the Scandanavian explorers, and to protest the widespread ignorance of those achievements.

This may sound pretentious, but consider that America is named after Amerigo Vespucci, an Italian explorer who authorized maps of the new world. If Amerigo was not in fact the first European to draft an accurate map of North American, then maybe

"This map really does not affect our notions of the discovery of North America. The true discovery of the American continents came more than 25,000 years ago, in the depths of the Ice Age, by Siberian hunters who followed the mammoth herds into what is now Alaska."

Fancy! All America is one large Siberia!

• 1 month later...

You can't change history retroactivly. If the Scandinavians want historical dibs, here, I give it to them. But it's our country, and we'll call it whatever we like. I don't hear them calling their part of the world Rus.

• 1 year later...

Undoubtedly the Norse were the first Europeans in North America. They made ventures into the Canadian Coasts as Leif Eriksson founded Vinland, better known today as Newfoundland. There have been archeological evidence showing earthern houses and Nordic tools in Newfoundland. Reasons why they left may have been from native Americans, but I find it hard to believe they left from weak tribes since they had a reputation for being so powerful.

I'm curious, what particular details make the map unable to be authenticated?

The ink. If the Vikings could get Hudson's Bay and the St. Lawrence in, why not Minnesota? After all, Runes have been uncovered there ;)

There is only one problem with the efforts to disdain, denigrate and discredit Columbus; neither the Vikings nor St. Brendan ever told anyone about Vinland - until now.

"Vinish"? Twaddlers!

Adm. Morrison's treatise on Columbus might be of interest.

Siberians to Alaska! What about the Indians of the Americas?

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Reasons why they left may have been from native Americans, but I find it hard to believe they left from weak tribes since they had a reputation for being so powerful.

There is a difference between reputation and results. And the truth is that there wasn't much that a small group of Vikings could do in a place so far away such as Vinland.

...but I find it hard to believe they left from weak tribes since they had a reputation for being so powerful.

Why do you find it difficult to believe? Many natives (Beothuk) + few Norse = bugger off. The amazing thing is that they managed to stay for as long as they did.