UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Publius Minius Mercator

Nova Roma

Salvete omnes,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone of you were nova romans? I just joined NR so I'm looking forward to 'meeting' other nova romans!

vale

Publius Minius Mercator

PS:what does UNRV stand for and is this a site made by volunteers?

PPS: new test forum for nova romans and Roman-empire buffs:

http://www.takeforum.com/forum/?mforum=novaroma

Welcome Publius,

I believe there are a couple of folks from Nova Roma around but people do come and go so I can't quite remember off hand.

I explained the UNRV thing somewhere recently, and it figures that I can't find it :( Anyway, the short is...

there were 3 of us with varying interests in Roman/Ancient history who met eachother through the online world/game recreating the ancient world, Roma Victor. We created this site with the original intention of being a historical resource for members of that community (United Nations of Roma Victor, essentially meaning all people of that community with a single place to share and discuss history). UNRV has grown well beyond that and we maintain only an indirect relationship with that original intention. While the 'founders' are not volunteers, we've had several contributions from our regular community members. Book reviews, historical reports, studies of various subjects, etc., and of course, incredible disussion, have all been submitted from what I guess would be considered volunteers :D

Welcome Publius,

I believe there are a couple of folks from Nova Roma around but people do come and go so I can't quite remember off hand.

I explained the UNRV thing somewhere recently, and it figures that I can't find it :D Anyway, the short is...

there were 3 of us with varying interests in Roman/Ancient history who met eachother through the online world/game recreating the ancient world, Roma Victor. We created this site with the original intention of being a historical resource for members of that community (United Nations of Roma Victor, essentially meaning all people of that community with a single place to share and discuss history). UNRV has grown well beyond that and we maintain only an indirect relationship with that original intention. While the 'founders' are not volunteers, we've had several contributions from our regular community members. Book reviews, historical reports, studies of various subjects, etc., and of course, incredible disussion, have all been submitted from what I guess would be considered volunteers :)

Thanks for your explanation! Btw, how can you join Roma Victor? they said it would be online beginning 2005??

Its currently in a phase called 'Commercial Testing' which roughly means itsopen to limited public testing. I'd imagine it won't be terribly long before its opened up quite broadly to the general public.

You can sign up to be a 'tester' here

I was briefly a member of NR, but soon left. I joined for the pagan community, but I didn't quite fit in with their goals and methods.

But if that stuff works for you, more power to you. Welcome to this community.

I was briefly a member of NR, but soon left. I joined for the pagan community, but I didn't quite fit in with their goals and methods.

But if that stuff works for you, more power to you. Welcome to this community.

If I may ask, why did you leave NR?

I was considering joing Nova Roma....because I am very zelous Roman/Greco Pagan, but then I didn't because like Ursus I am not one to fallow the rules of others. I like to make my own rules when it comes to what Jupiterus commands me to do. I agree with everything Nova Roma is trying to do though, and sincerly hope its suceeds.

But once again when it comes to my Pagan Religion I make the rules of what rituals and cermonies to perform.

Zeke

I don't seem to play well with others pagans. I suppose like Zeke I keep to myself and do my own thing.

It's a long story. Don't let me bore you with my problems.

Just out of curiousity, is Nova Roma an open society or is it open only to Pagans? Not that it makes any difference to me either way, but I only wonder if they truly espouse the Roman culture or if they've adapted their own modern concept of exclusivity.

Nova Roma claims to be a "state" in some sense, whose official "state religion" is the religio romana, and whose officials theoretically administer the public rites of the Roman religion on behalf of the state's "citizens."

Anyone of any faith (or no faith) can join, but everyone is supposed to understand and accept that Roman paganism is allegedly the heart of Nova Roma.

In my experience, however, the vast majority of "citizens" were not pagans, Roman or otherwise, and were not remotely interested in the Religio Romana. Most "citizens" however did buy into the theory of Nova Roma as a state in its own right, and much of the arguments on the main list were how to adapt this "state" to the modern world....

Nova Roma claims to be a "state" in some sense, whose official "state religion" is the religio romana, and whose officials theoretically administer the public rites of the Roman religion on behalf of the state's "citizens."

Anyone of any faith (or no faith) can join, but everyone is supposed to understand and accept that Roman paganism is allegedly the heart of Nova Roma.

In my experience, however, the vast majority of "citizens" were not pagans, Roman or otherwise, and were not remotely interested in the Religio Romana. Most "citizens" however did buy into the theory of Nova Roma as a state in its own right, and much of the arguments on the main list were how to adapt this "state" to the modern world....

Well the first purpose of NR is not to be a pagan organisation but to recreate/reenact a Roman state. So whether a lot of people are pagan or not isn't really an issue... The Religio is important because it was an important part of Roman life (even if most Romans didn't believe in the gods anymore in the imperial period, rituals were still very important...) but the Religio is only one of the many aspects of the Romanitas...

Well the first purpose of NR is not to be a pagan organization but to recreate/reenact a Roman state.

Have to disagree, sorry.

Roman paganism had at least two broad levels -- the basic private rites which families practiced at home, and then the public rites which were conducted by the State on behalf of the citizenry.

When people started reconstructing ancient Roman religion, it was easy enough to recreate and practice the private, family centered rites in the privacy of their own homes. The public rites, on the other hand, could obviously not be reconstructed as there was no surviving pagan Roman state to administer the state run cults.

To get around this, some people had the controversial idea of creating a

To back my friend Ursus up.

I looked into Nova Roma for a bit but never did join it.....because it seems a little absurd. I mean the idea is wonderful don't get me wrong......but if you want to honestly create a new Roman State then you got to have millions even billions of dollars to start up the building projects. I may build Pagan Temples one day but thats if I get ALOT of money.....and thats a maybe!

I don't like these Intertnet Micronations because they become severally cult like after a while. Thats why I don't join Pagan Soceities on the web because I know they will never become anything or they will become severally cult like and physco. If you want to expand Pagan Faith then you got to go out into the community (I intend to do that) get donations, try to convice people that your faith is right, set up a theology for it and have a meeting place. Over the web......you can get alot of people but you don't really know who they are...most are fat nerdy guys that are just looking for a good time to escape their horrible, miserable lives and live in a fantasy. (Thank the good gods I am not one of those people)

Not saying that about Nova Roma of coarse.....maybe Nova Roma is different you know, maybe it could become something.... but I doubt it. I did look into the site and did see you have 10 barren acers in Texas. Thats intresting......but I don't know if anything will become of it. I fully intend to get Roman Paganism going again but not over the web thats just plain silly. lol

Anyway....the guy from Nova Roma......I encourage you to ditch it and talk to some Real life Pagans.....Me, Ursus, Farnir, Fatboy and some others I don't remember. Come talk to people who arn't even Pagans we got alot of atheists and Catholics and others Christians and all sorts of faiths here. Whether your black, white or any other race or support a certain politcial group. We here at UNRV strive for ONE COMMAN GOAL...not to rebuild a Roman State but to study it as best we can....

For we belong to UNRV Roman History Forums and are sole purpose in life is to form an anyansis of Roman History. Noting more and nothing less. I love UNRV.

Anyway, stay here Publius......you won't regret it.

Ave Atqua Vale,

Zeke

To add........the other sole intention of UNRV besides Roman History and things reltated to Roman History......is the game called Roma Victor which most of our members will be playing in the years to come! :D Includding myself.....lol.

But yeah Roman History comes first....then a lot of Roma Victor on the side.

Zeke