UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Artimi

Aquileia, Italy question for people who have travelled

As far as I know, it isn't. My experience is a bit dated, I have visited several times between 2002 and 2006.

A few people were to be seen around the basilica and the museum, the smaller sites were utterly deserted.

By all means go, it's a fantastic place to visit. But do your homework and/or bring a map, the interesting bits are scattered all over the place and not well marked.

Lots of interesting stuff in the region to see as well. PM me if you need more info, I don't come here very often.

From Trieste you could also take a summer ferry or probably a train to quaint nearby Pula Croatia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pula#Sights

The city is best known for its many surviving ancient Roman buildings, the most famous of which is its 1st-century amphitheatre, which is among the six largest surviving Roman arenas in the world.[10] and locally known as the Arena. This is one of the best preserved amphitheatres from antiquity and is still in use today

I haven't been there, but this picture shows how the arena ring dominates the town which is probably not much touristed vs other parts of Croatia. You can take summer ferries back to Venice, which would be a shame to not visit. To avoid crowds, just avoid the crush along the mindlessly obvious spine route from train station to Piazza San Marco along the canal or Rialto bridge. Walk the more serene pathways that locals use like thru Campo Santa Margherita and Academia bridge.

320px-Pula_Aerial_View.jpg

A bit further down the coast is Split with it's magnificent Diocletian's Palace. Not well appreciated by tourists because it is entwined with the regular fabric of city shops and apartments, but I arrived on a quiet dawn and it was stunning. You can also visit the basements in near original state to get the gist of original floorplan.