UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onasander

The Problem with Arguments of Ancient Fear of the Unknown.

quote]Rome would be a disgusting, revolting quagmire if it wasnt for the scrubbing and sterilization the middle ages gave to the romans in their idealization.
Except they often used Rome as an example of decadence and sin

You can reject rome Caldrail, dismiss them as waffles and jump in the sea and let your air out, but it doesnt change history or human nature. We are a very superstitious lot, indeed, but the romans did reason too. Cant really say we inherited everything either, that we are a culture Romans would recognize as their legitimate heirs. We like to say the US is the new Rome, but can we say Rome was the USA of its time and keep a straight face? Alot of stuff happened between the fall of Rome and modern times.

I never said the Romans were waffling.

You claim to of read the new Dune Books. What mythical creature did Baron Harkonnen keep a statue of in the cabinet of the restored Atreides Castle where Ominous and Erasmus kept them?

Dramatic elements used to set a scene in a sciece fiction novel have no relevance to Roman philosophy.whatsoever. If you choose to read more into it than others, that's up to you, but Dune is a story about power, not esoteric philosophies concerning icons that get a brief mention as a scene setter.

We dont study rome here, we study a sphinx. Dont ever forget that. One stacked like a russian doll one in another.

No, I study Rome here. A city state in antiquity. Sphinxii have nothing to do with it.

The belief we can do otherwise is childish pretend. A pretend to holding to a truth, when its just holding to one of the cultures of thought that seperate us further.

You're waffling again.

And you do realize that psuedo-intellectual bunk I used was Roman era reasoning, right?

You could have fooled me.