UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Onasander

Siege of Salmeniko last battle of Roman Empire?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmeniko_Castle

Im looking over the Morea for holdouts AFTER the fall of Trebizond. This castle looks like it has possibilities, as it lasted the longest. I can't find exact dates.

The only place I can find still remaining a imperial possession after this would be Monemvasia, I assume Thomas, the last claimant to the throne, sold it AFTER Trebizond fell, but am uncertain when the Pope actually bought it. Any point after 1461 officially extends the final end of the Roman Empire.

Of course, there were countless islands without a turkish garrison, fighting off turkish pirates for centuries, but never heard any claims of continuation from the greek community here via any island.

So, is this castle, or the seizure of Trebizond the last battle of Rome? Is this island the very last imperial possession?

http://www.monemvasia-apartments.com/en/monemvasia.html

This website puts Thomas' eventual sale of Monemvasia to the Vatican in 1471, ten years after Trebizond fell.

From this point on, the de jure final, complete fall of all Roman possessions, commonly identified as Roman lands, is extended this extra decade.

Roman Empire, died 1471.

Im also a eyeing a Island near Chios that managed to last several centuries before the Ottomans sent a tax collector, and he was killed. They also built 7 towers to fend off venetian attacks. Supposedly is at some sort of relation to the Knights of St. John, but I am unsure what that means, if any were stationed there, if they they thought they were owned by them, or if they just sold supplies to them. Besides, lack of foreign invasion doesnt necessarily imply they still thought themselves Roman.... but Monvasia is 100% pure, still under the imperial banner Roman territory in its case until 1471.

You gotta love that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmeniko_Castle

Im looking over the Morea for holdouts AFTER the fall of Trebizond. This castle looks like it has possibilities, as it lasted the longest. I can't find exact dates.

The only place I can find still remaining a imperial possession after this would be Monemvasia, I assume Thomas, the last claimant to the throne, sold it AFTER Trebizond fell, but am uncertain when the Pope actually bought it. Any point after 1461 officially extends the final end of the Roman Empire.

Of course, there were countless islands without a turkish garrison, fighting off turkish pirates for centuries, but never heard any claims of continuation from the greek community here via any island.

So, is this castle, or the seizure of Trebizond the last battle of Rome? Is this island the very last imperial possession?

The pope formally took possession in February 1461, before the fall of Trebizond.

Not that there was any empire left by then.

I found dates saying 1464 and 1471.

I cant find a document saying one way or another

Can't remember where I found it.

But another quick google turns up this:

edit - link doesn't work

Edited by Maladict

A german language page with no info displayed?

I dunno.... buy heck, maybe your right.

I used to have George Sphrantzes history (the very, very last book of the Roman Empire) but never finished it.

I read in one case, he was from the island, in another, he was born in Constantinople.His book is pretty awesome, it has the best opening for any autobiography ever written. He was a magnificent sore loser. Boethius soughts the consolations of Philosophy when he died and the west was lost with him, George just was straight up pissed and depressed. He witnessed the end, from a position of honored authority.

Im sure he covers this. I gotta find another copy of that book and finish it.