UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

free Rome books for kindle?

caesar novus

The Kindle DX does fine reading pdfs, the 9.7" screen is almost an inch larger than the ipad's & that really helps.

I need pretty big fonts and still may have to view pdfs by the half page if the DX sharpness doesn't make up for it. Amzn still haven't shipped or given me a DX delivery date after several days, yet they are now airmailing 3 gallons of something I hardly need at no extra cost!

I love big screens... you should see pdf on my 13" laptop folded into tablet mode and rotated to portrait... luxury! But all my laptops have died due to screen failures, and I don't want to burn extra hours e-reading on them. Same for an 11.5 inch android tablet I ordered from China... pdf looks marginally good, but all my bargain tablets develop touch problems in midlife, so I don't want to kill big, more expensive ones early just staring at books.

One solution is to convert pdf to epub or whatever (losing a bit in translation) then reading on a smaller device which is cheap enough to bear the earlier screen failure. I don't like it too small so I am paging every few seconds.

But the DX has a large-ish screen at a cheap, expendable price. Not only is it extra sharp but can work in bright outside light, which I want. My wifi router security setup is maxed out with device count, but the DX can use free 3G. Ahh, the anticipation is always greater than the reality.

That pdf to epub/mobi conversion can be a real mess & takes some tweaking to get it right. My Calibre software seems to work well at that. I have articles from longform.org, thebrowser.com, aldaily, and the like forwarded to my Kindle readers via Firefox's "Send to Kindle" plug-in [there's one for Chrome & Explorer as well] via the 3G thingy.

You do know Laptop screens are very cheap and simple to replace. 

You unscrew the frame, and there are two male-female connectors, you unplug them and plug the new screen in, them plop the frame back in.

It's no harder that the old monitors we used to use for PC towers, same amount of cords, just smaller.

Just google your models screen size and model number. It's stupid simple, I did it in the woods with a butter knife a half hour before dark with an old Acer I had. 

It really is that simple. Takes 3 minutes top. 

Edited by Onasander

I'm missing an easy fix? Aren't you supposed to be blocking my posts? Anyway I am wary about conventional lcd screens, because:

IBM repairs quoted me $900 to replace a backlight on an old thinkpad. Then they agreed to do it free, but created other problems. A toshiba flickered out and I found an online fix instruction about microscopic resoldiering of a plug behind the screen. I extended the life by periodically opening up and just wiggling the plug until losing patience. My 2 17" apple pro laptops lost their screens and I use TV out instead. Well, one of them had a posted fix where apple kindly replaced some unreliable graphic chip out of warrantee. I described the other problem with the apple genius who kind of hinted it was a messy power supply problem to the screen.

As for tablets, I moderate a forum for a tablet brand with particularly troublesome screens. Folks occasionally describe how they replaced them, but it doesn't sound pretty. The problem is inherent with their frugal design anyway. Oh, I just got notified of my Kindle DX shipment, but found my local library mainly supports Kindle Fires (which just went off their cybermonday sale prices).

If you had a old fashion PC, and the monitor died, you would go and buy a new monitor, right?

Same principle.

If the laptop is otherwise okay, just a busted screen, then just change out the screen. Slap down the model and year, and I will google it for you.

The official cost of fixing a Acer screen was 350 dollars, but I paid 50 or 70 dollars for the replacement, and like I said, did it in the woods with a butter knife.

However, if it started flickering on and off right after you looked at a naughty site, then it is a virus, and changing out the screen wont do crap. Bringing it to a place like home depot to get it cleaned up will.

I had a friend, she was a Marxist professor in Dalian, went to Tibet after I told her about the Buddhist and Christian Stupas and Alexander's empire...... we were chatting, and my computer got taken down by a shitload of viruses. They couldnt fix it. Dont piss the Chinese government off by talking about christianity and the military in tibet with someone IN Tibet.... everything we talked about topic wise was really old stuff, nothing modern, but the Chinese either dont care or cant tell the difference.

It seriously messed my computer up beyond repair.

direct dial USA, toll free number.

1-866-216-1072

And here is their Long Distance/International contact number

1-206-266-2992 

This is the Amazon.com number you call if you download the wrong stuff. I went to download Season 1 of Falling Skies, and did Season 3 by accident. I used a gift card, so thought I was screwed.... I did this mistake 5 minutes ago, and the problem is already fixed.