UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Virgil61

Revised edition of Leo VI Taktica coming out Feb '14

The only other place I've been able to find one of these is at the university library in Univ of Washington & I really didn't want to spend $200-$400+ for a hard copy. It's looks like it's now available in Feb at under $40 in a revised edition.

It's a Dumbarton Oaks study. Dumbarton Oaks is a research library dedicated to Byzantine studies located in D.C. near the embassy row/Naval observatory part of town [one of a thousand reasons I wish I lived in D.C. again]. It's put out quite a few studies on Byzantine military affairs [among other things] a lot in small batch academic printings which are ridiculously expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088402394X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

0d554a0e-6e93-4ef3-abef-8f0ca46785f9.jpe

He isn't a bad translator. I recommend him.

They sell once in a while very nice, illustrated manuscripts of this work for 1000 dollars. I nearly bought one in 2008. Looked like quality reproductions to me.

If I recall, its a paraphrase from the Strategikon. I would prefer a future illustrated version (which I will make happen long down the road, I have my eye on translating a slightly later roman guerrilla manual after this philosophy text Im slowly doing is complete.)

I dont live far from DC (9 hour drive), however, if I remember correctly, Dumbarton Oakes has a reading room in Washington State, you alluded to living not too far away from that state. I also know a former chair for dumbarton oakes, they might reduce the degree criteria if you dont have a high enough of one to get it..... they can be a bit snobbish..... hence why I just gave up and started learning ways to find the works other ways.

Just checked, cant find any current auctions. Best you can do is a persian rifle manual from the mid 19th century for 1500.

Very random stuff bounces up.... Leo is floating out there somewhere.

I worked on K Street in D.C. for years, Dumbarton Oaks wouldn't make more than a single-A ball club in the world of DC snobs.

Leo's work is supposed to be a heavily revised version of Maurice's Strategikon with an interesting number of changes and inclusions. George Dennis translated my copy [probably the upenn press copy of Strategikon everyone uses] in '84. I think he translated this revised Leo in 2010 [apparently he died that year].

He's dead?

He did good work. I had approved respect for what I've seen of him. My goal is to put out affordable translations (5-10 dollar range), but I honestly had no intention of storming the gates of academia..... figured there is going to be a trickle up effect..... you read the basic translation, see in to notes and commentary more authoritative or critical versions existed, many would go on to buy them.... due to the increased audience pool. 

I probably won't touch Leo for quite some time if he's dead though. Don't want to make any widow seemingly suffer loss of royalties.

I'll buy this new version and will figure a way to mention it like, ten times somehow in the commentary for mine.... 

I can't find a address for the Washington state office.... I am hoping I didn't confuse it for DC.... I nearly snuck out on a weekend flight to go visit the supposed Washington state one..... I ended up heading out to the real Washington DC on my first leave returning from Iraq, heading to the rare books room of the library of congress.... they gave me the address of a local military/history reading room nearby, but it was closed for new years..... wouldn't that be funny.... I am starting to feel a bit stupid now.