UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guy

Goals for study of Ancient Rome in 2014?

In years past, I

Edited by guy

I tried learning latin via books, Virgil even sent me a few books in Iraq.... which I am in grateful for and in debt.

I found the only way for me is to brute force translate something very important that has never been translated before so I cant cheat.

My goal is to get into a rhythm of translating, a few a year. Hopefully, Ill make enough on it trickling in (Im guessing a very low trickle) that I can backpack outside of the US...... there are alot of libraries out there.... alot of thinkers. Alot of problems to examine. A few dollars a day could keep me alive.

Short term.... build this stupid ultra-violet camera, get a van for it, get darpa or the state police interested in it. Split from it once it catches on.

I dont have a concept of time as a metric anymore. Years don't make much sense to me.

Duration. I sorta exist. Thinking next year suggests there are others after it..... I dont quite fit the tempo everyone goes by in embracing such abstract things. This isnt me trying to act smart or cool..... just admitting to a deficient I have..... time is a daunting challenge. I dont know if I am times greatest challenge, or the archetype of its reflective dwelling.

Edited by Onasander

Learning Latin is a slow process, don't expect great results within one year. If I think of my progress after the first year of High School, hell, not much to be excited about. And you wanna be self-taught, even worse. Furthermore, you're never ever gonna learn proper Latin unless you use it, use it and use it again on a regular basis.

On topic, I may have goals for 2014, but I haven't set them yet. Still completing 2013 ones :P

My goal for 2014 is:

Translate book 7, chapters 25-43 of "Historiarum adversum paganos" from Paulus Orosios (417 AD), a historian who discribes the roman history until his age from a christian point of view. He tries to explain that this was not his relegion to blame. Despite of his preconceived opinion, he discribes the history of the sack of Rome (410 AD) as a contemporary.

I'm very interested in Late Antiquity especially the period of Theodosius until Galla Placidia. Chapter 25 starts with Constantine, chapter 43 ends with Honorius, the western emperor.
In fact, when I was wandering through the streets of Istanbul last spring, all I could see when I entered the Blue Mosk was that I was walking around on the marble of the emperial palace, where Theodosius lived and Galla Placidia grew up. Fascinating.

Jeroen DeLange,
Amsterdam