UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Julian the Philosopher

Translation Help if possible

Recently I have been listening to the Symphonic Death Metal band Ex Deo who write about Roman History and such. I like the band and their music and recently I decided to look up what some of the Latin lyrics from their song "Cruor Nostri Abbas", which led me to find that the Lyrics they tried to write in Latin came out horrible and according to a post I found on this site (http://heavylatin.blogspot.com/2009/10/ex-deo-cruor-nostri-abbas.html) it is extremely difficult to translate and read. If anyone would like to give it a shot here are the lyrics, I am curious to know what Ex Deo tried to say.

CRUOR NOSTRI ABBAS (I believe this is supposed to say "The Blood of Our Fathers", but wouldn't that be "Cruor Nostri Patres"?)

EGO spiritus meus contemno

EGO dominor

EGO addo lemma ut suum filiolus

EGO ostendo haud misericordia

EGO ostendo haud diligo

Capio absentis suum posterus

EGO dico ordo

Telum crudus divum

Recently I have been listening to the Symphonic Death Metal band Ex Deo who write about Roman History and such. I like the band and their music and recently I decided to look up what some of the Latin lyrics from their song "Cruor Nostri Abbas", which led me to find that the Lyrics they tried to write in Latin came out horrible and according to a post I found on this site (http://heavylatin.blogspot.com/2009/10/ex-deo-cruor-nostri-abbas.html) it is extremely difficult to translate and read. If anyone would like to give it a shot here are the lyrics, I am curious to know what Ex Deo tried to say.

CRUOR NOSTRI ABBAS (I believe this is supposed to say "The Blood of Our Fathers", but wouldn't that be "Cruor Nostri Patres"?)

EGO spiritus meus contemno

EGO dominor

EGO addo lemma ut suum filiolus

EGO ostendo haud misericordia

EGO ostendo haud diligo

Capio absentis suum posterus

EGO dico ordo

Telum crudus divum

The first post after the initial one seems to have a decent enough if not perfect translation but a more fluent linguist could confirm that.

Reading his post I've noticed something about English speakers who go to learn another Indo-European language. They complain about that language because of the declension & cases involved without realizing that most European languages from the Indo-European group have them and modern English is the odd man out [not old English though].