UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Name for Roman villa

cinzia8

No explicit narrative has survived. In Argonautica (iv.57ff) the "daughter of Titan", the Moon, was witness to Medea's fearful night-time flight to Jason, and "rejoiced with malicious pleasure as she reflected to herself: 'I'm not the only one then to skulk off to the Latmian cave, nor is it only I that burn with desire for fair Endymion'" she muses. "But now you yourself it would seem, are a victim of a madness like mine."[16] Lemprière's Classical Dictionary reinforces Pliny's account of Endymion's attachment to astronomy and cites it as the source of why Endymion was said to have a relationship with the moon as she passed by.

220px-MMA_sarcophag_1.jpg

magnify-clip.png

Another Roman Endymion sarcophagus, mid-2nd century AD. (Metropolitan Museum of Art)[17]

The mytheme of Endymion being not dead but endlessly asleep, which was proverbial (the proverb -Endymionis somnum dormire, "to sleep the sleep of Endymion")[18] ensured that scenes of Endymion and Selene were popular subjects for sculpted sarcophagi inLate Antiquity, when after-death existence began to be a heightened concern. The Louvre example, found at Saint-Médard d'Eyrans, France, (illustration, left) is one of this class.

Some[who?] believe that he was the personification of sleep, or the sunset (most likely the last one as his name, if it were Greek rather than Carian can be construed from "to dive in" [Greek en (ἐν) in, and duein (δύειν) dive], which would imply a representation of that sort. Latin writers explained the name from somnum ei inductum, the "sleep put upon him."[19]

The myth of Endymion was never easily transferred to ever-chaste Artemis, the Olympian associated with the Moon.[20] In the Renaissance, the revived moon goddess Diana had the Endymion myth attached to her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endymion_(mythology)

I gave a lot of thought to the above, one could carve a Shakespearean subplot giving the two massive depth of character on a Jungian level with the above. He would misidentify himself as Endymion, but she would be Selena. Attila dies of a nosebleed, and I think there is a myth attached to him that he is sleeping and will return someday..... anyway, there usually is to such steppe figures.

One could twist this easily into a pretty riviting tragedy.

I can see him explaining the murals on his wall, she interpreting them a very different way than him, a lover of true beauty, she seemingly herself as the myth simply not caring about him in it.

I think of the donkey in the golden ass.... Machiavelli's version is the last I've read in some time, I see a big moon in the sky above as they move through the forest.

• Like 1

No explicit narrative has survived. In Argonautica (iv.57ff) the "daughter of Titan", the Moon, was witness to Medea's fearful night-time flight to Jason, and "rejoiced with malicious pleasure as she reflected to herself: 'I'm not the only one then to skulk off to the Latmian cave, nor is it only I that burn with desire for fair Endymion'" she muses. "But now you yourself it would seem, are a victim of a madness like mine."[16] Lemprière's Classical Dictionary reinforces Pliny's account of Endymion's attachment to astronomy and cites it as the source of why Endymion was said to have a relationship with the moon as she passed by.

220px-MMA_sarcophag_1.jpg
magnify-clip.png
Another Roman Endymion sarcophagus, mid-2nd century AD. (Metropolitan Museum of Art)[17]

The mytheme of Endymion being not dead but endlessly asleep, which was proverbial (the proverb -Endymionis somnum dormire, "to sleep the sleep of Endymion")[18] ensured that scenes of Endymion and Selene were popular subjects for sculpted sarcophagi inLate Antiquity, when after-death existence began to be a heightened concern. The Louvre example, found at Saint-Médard d'Eyrans, France, (illustration, left) is one of this class.

Some[who?] believe that he was the personification of sleep, or the sunset (most likely the last one as his name, if it were Greek rather than Carian can be construed from "to dive in" [Greek en (ἐν) in, and duein (δύειν) dive], which would imply a representation of that sort. Latin writers explained the name from somnum ei inductum, the "sleep put upon him."[19]

The myth of Endymion was never easily transferred to ever-chaste Artemis, the Olympian associated with the Moon.[20] In the Renaissance, the revived moon goddess Diana had the Endymion myth attached to her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endymion_(mythology)

I gave a lot of thought to the above, one could carve a Shakespearean subplot giving the two massive depth of character on a Jungian level with the above. He would misidentify himself as Endymion, but she would be Selena. Attila dies of a nosebleed, and I think there is a myth attached to him that he is sleeping and will return someday..... anyway, there usually is to such steppe figures.

One could twist this easily into a pretty riviting tragedy.

I can see him explaining the murals on his wall, she interpreting them a very different way than him, a lover of true beauty, she seemingly herself as the myth simply not caring about him in it.

I think of the donkey in the golden ass.... Machiavelli's version is the last I've read in some time, I see a big moon in the sky above as they move through the forest.

Seeing that Cinzia in English is Cynthia, which means 'Moon Goddess', I like anything to do with the moon.  This might make for a riveting story indeed. Thanks for the suggestion and the references. :-)

Edited by cinzia8

• 5 months later...