UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The best cruises for history lovers (according to USA Today)

Viggen

Cruises get you to top historic attractions around the world, often with the bonus of historians onboard offering their expert insight. For more hands-on learning, book guided shore excursions to see the sights, or plan ahead and explore on your own. There's a lot for history buffs to like on these cruises.

...more at USA Today

Ive been thinking of back packing from Aristotle's Hometown in Greece, to Rome, up through the coastline, likely start off in Sparta first, then Stagarite, then up the coast.... I have no idea of how they deal with pedestrians, or how to use a bidet though (you straddle it, with hands on the wall and beace yourself for the squirt I guess).... I dont want to get deported for walking down a backroad, and the appeal of driving is low..... I got a bunch of vacation time I cant cash in, so..... cheapest flight to greece, then cheapest flight back from rome = 70% of my expense.

Has anyone ever backpacked in europe before? I mean real back packing, not the smores in the hostel kitchen before catching a bus to the next city..... I walk slow from a bad knee, but go very, very far, like the tortoise in the tortoise and hare..... would like to see the countryside. Dont want jailed though for passing throug on foot.

I more or less want a pedestrian sense of the distances involved in my head, so I can better gauge historians understandings. A historian who doesnt get out and walk his ancient history is questionable at best. You can write about Hannibal leaving warm Spain and crossing the alps in the winter, but I would much rather the insight of one who traced the route and did it himself.... little stuff no one else noticed would pop up from doing it..... it would give incredible depth to a historical work.

I have no intention of reenacting Hannibals march by the way, just a example.