UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Empires of Faith: The Fall of Rome to the Rise of Islam

Empires of Faith by Peter Sarris

Book Review by Ian Hughes 

Over recent decades there has been an explosion of publications about the last days of the Western Empire and the rise of the "barbarian" kingdoms: a new generation with an interest in Late Antiquity is making itself heard. One of the main players in this phenomenon is Peter Sarris.  In Empires of Faith - The Fall of Rome to the Rise of Islam, c.500-700 (Oxford, 2011 -Volume 1 in the Oxford History of Medieval Europe) Sarris has written an overview of the period encompassing the Fall of the West to the Rise of Islam in the East and its conquest of much of the old "Roman" world...

continue to the review of Empires of Faith: The Fall of Rome to the Rise of Islam by Peter Sarris

I'm very interested in the Age of Division, particularly as families were impacted and the resulting changes in the status of the family.

Definitely a must-read for me!

C. Wease

The title of the book itself is very intriguing and, perhaps, open to debate.  It will be interesting to compare and contrast this book with several others that address related topics.  I suspect that, taken together, these books will significantly add to the body of knowledge concerning the interplay between empires and how the world evolved.  This is a must read book that I want to add to my library.  The reviewer of the book, Ian Hughes, is himself a scholar and published author.  His recommendation to read Empires of Faith is noteworthy.

• Map of the Roman Empire