UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Constantine the Great: The Coins Speak

Viggen

Thesis submitted to the Tenneesee State University for the Degree of Masters of Arts by Victor Clark

...thanks to Victor Clark, i can publish here his (especially for numismatists) interesting work, it starts of with the Introduction, over the course of the next couple of weeks, i will add all pages of his work. Feel free to discuss...

In Italy during the fourteenth century some men began to study ancient Roman coins. This should not be a surprise though, as it was the Renaissance, and there was a great interest in the classical past. The humanist Petrarch was the most famous of these early numismatists. Petrarch said in a letter that often people would approach him with a request to identify a newly discovered ancient coin. “Often there came to me in Rome a vinedigger, holding in his hands an ancient jewel or a golden Latin coin, sometimes scratched by the hard edge of a hoe, urging me either to buy it or to identify the heroic faces inscribed on them...

...continue to  Constantine the Great: The Coins Speak

What a great piece of work. I will enjoy reading the entire work more closely.

As you suggested, the impact on the Italian Renaissance that these coins had was enormous. These coins and other "rediscovered" finds (Ancient literature, sculpture, etc.) had an energizing effect on the intellectual explosion and pursuit of knowledge that characterized the Renaissance.

Great work and thank you,

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Here's a nice video for us non-coin collectors about the coins of Constantine:

• Like 1