UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I Still Worship Zeus! - Interesting Documentary

Guest Scanderbeg

Guest Scanderbeg

Thousands of years ago, the Ancient Greeks honored and worshipped the twelve gods of Greece. Today, ninety-eight percent of the population in Greece is Christian Orthodox. However, some natives of Greece - ranging from successful doctors and lawyers to university professors and artists - believe that the ancient Greek religion never died. Many of these believers continue the traditions of their great-great grandfathers and beyond who worshipped the twelve gods. And many try to emulate the values of the gods and - during some rituals - even dress like them. There are several organizations of these people in Greece, and their membership is estimated to be in the thousands (including some in the countryside who are supposedly too afraid to admit their beliefs). All of them are united in their plea to the Greek government to recognize their faith as an official religion. For 10 years, these requests have been ignored, in violation of European Union human rights laws.

This documentary focuses on individual case studies of believers, as well as the private rituals and large ceremonies they perform - such as the yearly honoring of Zeus at Mount Olympus, which attracts followers from all over the world. Also featured is a multi-step Apollo oracle performed in Delphi at the temples of Athena and Apollo. The film acknowledges the skeptics, including an ancient Greek scholar, a political scientist, a psychologist, priests, journalists, and the general public. These skeptics examine, re-evaluate and challenge the validity, philosophy and politics of the twelve gods believers. The film provides insight into these devout citizens who adore ancient Greek history and seek to express their religious beliefs in whatever way they see fit - even the right to build temples to Zeus.

https://www.nationalfilmnetwork.com/store/P...x?ProductID=182

The problem with self-described pagans from Greece is that their religion may serve as a cover for a virulent ethnic and nationalist agenda. Many don't really believe in the literal existence of the gods, they see them as symbols of a national or ethnic power. To them the main religion is Being Greek - however they ultimately define Greekness. When people insinuate they are nothing but a bunch of bigoted right-wing ethnic activists hiding behind Ancient Greece's faded glory, these ethnic activists scream that they are being oppressed by the Church in order to disguise their true intentions and elicit sympathy.

I'm not suggesting every Greek pagan is like this, but many are. Ran into a lot of them though my sojourns through pagandom. This is a problem not just in Greece but throughout a lot of European revivals of paganism. There are Germanic polytheists for whom the religion is a mask for white/aryan power. There are Celtic pagans who use the religion as vehicle for modern notions of Celtic nationalism. There are Slavic pagans who are the slavic answer to neo-nazi groups. Etc.

Of course there are people like this in America too, but it seems the ethnic-conscious-disguised-as-ancient-religion-movement is more prevalent in Europe. So be forewarned - not every pagan group out there that claims to be some innocent, misunderstood group of decent people actually is.

Guest Scanderbeg
To them the main religion is Being Greek - however they ultimately define Greekness.

Hehe, reminds me of a famous poem written a while back during our national awakening. because we were all these differet religions the poems ended with the word

"Do not look to the church of mosque for pietism, the faith of Albanians is Albanianism."

Still chanted to this day.

Yeah I have to agree with Ursus.

Alot of Greeco/Roman Pagans that I do meet on the web are...very nationalistic towards Greece, or in the case of Astaru or Slavic Pagan have the hidden agenda of Neo-Nazism.

I also must bring up another topic.....the fact that these revival Pagan Faiths can be cover ups for wider sceams for coporate powers and rich business men trying to be "rebels" by sponsering a Pagan Temple.

Because if there not nationalisitic in nature towards Greece or the Celtic lands for example then they have some hidden agenda to get rich fast.

While others I meet are just people living in a fantasy, I guess if you really wanted you could call me that. But I don't think I am that because I take my religion very sereriously.

Alot of people accuse me of trying to be "cool" because I am a Classical Polythesit myself. If they saw the altar in my room or saw my writings on theology or my study of the faith, I think they would change their minds ;)

Believe it or not the only true Pagans who take their faith seriously and arn''t fantasy dwellers, Neo-Nazis, or Nationalists IN MY OPINION, are ones I have met here on the UNRV, Ursus, Farnir, Fatboy, and some others that are silent :P all take Polythestic worship to its true meaning and not a sherade or a fantasy their all well educated people in their apporahces to their respective faiths and I enjoy that. That is why I have never joined these online Pagan Temples like Nova Roma or the Socities Deoacruvim Aquliva (Or whatever) or even the Julian Society.

But Scanderbeg.....thank you for your contributions and I will certainlty have a look at this page you gave us. :D

Zeke

Awesome, more power to them. Any Italian/Roman equivalent you think? Doubtful probably in the face of Catholic power.

Attend a mass, read up on Catholic theology, history and heirarchical structure. Much of it is based on Roman custom and co-opted pagan ritual.