UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Furyon

Hellenic Leadership

Hello all,

I am curious to what the equivalent rank is in the ancient Hellenic forces to that of a Roman Centurion (Or Decurion) in Ptolemaic Egypt. 

I have read two names, one is "Hekatontarchoi", the other is "Taxiarchoi". Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards.

"Hekatontarchos" is a rank from the Ptolemaic army, if I recall correctly, and is equivalent to a Roman centurion (both are basically "commanders of one hundred men"). The Ptolemaic army was influenced by the Roman army as the annexation drew near.

The term "taxiarchos" is older. We encounter it already in Herodotus. It's literally a commander of a "taxis", a unit of men, sometimes translated as division or regiment. The term "taxis" was also used to refer to the entire order of battle, but taxiarchos was commander of only part of the army, often divided into "lochoi" or "companies", each numbering a few hundred men and commanded by a "lochagos" (captain). A "taxis" numbered perhaps around a thousand men, sometimes more, sometimes less.

• Like 2

Ah I see! Thank you for the timely response, as all things ancient with myself, I try to relate them to the most common which is always Roman in my case. 

I think I shall have to stop lurking the forums and actually start posting now that I have made an account!

• Like 2