UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Ben Hur 2016

Ben Hur is back,

Director will be Timur Bekmambetov whose only real achievement was Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and Loki becomes maybe a Roman (Tom Hiddleston)...

any hopes it will be watchable?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/tom-hiddleston-top-choice-ben-hur-4044059

I don't watch movies in the theatre, so if this gets made I wouldn't see it until it became available on TV or Netflix.

I'm quite content with the Charlton Heston version. I have my doubts that any modern production could pull off a chariot race anywhere near as mesmerizing as the original.

I guess I'll also wait until it comes on TV...

Having watched the original Ben-Hur, I confess that I do not see any reason to re-do this story. I always thought it was far less of a "Roman" story and more of a "provincial" story--the story of Judea (the "Jesus" connection notwithstanding). I rather feel the same way about the televised series Spartacus.

There are so many other stories within Roman history that would probably do well on the big screen. Why should Troy and Sparta be the only venues for big drama? Coriolanus faded into the mists already, and there are oh so many versions of "Caesar and Cleopatra." But how about a life of Cicero, or events around the Catiline Conspiracy. 

Sorry, did not mean to move away from "Ben-Hur" here but, Gratias for Gladiator at least.

There are so many other stories within Roman history that would probably do well on the big screen. Why should Troy and Sparta be the only venues for big drama? Coriolanus faded into the mists already, and there are oh so many versions of "Caesar and Cleopatra." But how about a life of Cicero, or events around the Catiline Conspiracy. 

Cicero is probably not "sexy" enough for Hollywood.  ;)

Salve Aurelia,

You may be right about that. My opinion of Cicero has changed drastically since I was a younger person. One of the earliest books I read (and this goes back eons) was Taylor Caldwell's Pillar of Iron, which was a fictionalized account of the life and career of Cicero.  It is a very long book, and probably, if I recall, my very first foray into the fiction of Roman history. I remember coming away from that, thinking Cicero was a hero of heroes.

Then I read more about his career and his personality from the actual histories. 

He definitely was not a "dreamy" character as portrayed in the tv series "Rome,"  Ok--so maybe not his own life story, but still, he played a role in other major events that could involve intrigue and high drama!

• Like 1

Well in fact I have the 2008 Ben Hur here on DVD. One thing which is quite commonplace in my family is: my wife and I never watch telly. A few years ago Ben Hur from 2008 was advertised in our TV-guide. After it had actually started I switched it on, because I wanted to see what it was like. My wife and I were hooked! I think it was the first time since we got married (in 1992) that we sat down in front of the telly because we WANTED to watch what was being shown. Of course the charriot-race can never rival the Charlton Heston Version, but what I really like about the 2008 Ben Hur is that the evil characters are played so well, I don't want to see them! My eldest son gave me the DVD for Christmas a few years ago and I have seen it several times since. I enjoy watching it.

It is strange that it hasn't been mentioned here yet; perhaps for good reason? Perhaps I'm being blasphemic, but I must admit I think it's quite good.

I *think* the 2008 Ben-Hur went straight to DVD? I don't recall it ever being in theaters in my area, and I cannot remember it appearing on any of the tv networks I access--cable or non-tv. I am not sure why that is. I did manage to find it briefly for a time a year or so ago. It did not give me the overall punch that the Charlton Heston version did--in part because the 2008 version I think was made to be less of a grand epic and more of a people story.

Well in fact I have the 2008 Ben Hur here on DVD. 

Do you mean the 2010 mini-series? If not, I have no idea what you're talking about...  :huh:  :dontgetit: