UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Aurelia

Gold coin may be key to solve Sweden's 'Pompeii'

Swedish archaeologists found a rare and valuable golden coin from ancient Rome on Monday. And they think it may explain a key part of the Sweden's history.

Archaeologists found the coin on Monday at a site on the island of Öland that's been compared to Italy's Pompeii. 

A small team of archaeologists at Kalmar County museum, in collaboration with Lund University, has been digging at the site for the past three years. The team is studying the Migration Period in Scandinavian history, from about 400 to 550 AD, centuries before the Viking Age.

While the team has found several hundred of the coin already, Monday's discovery was a big one, said archaeologist and project manager Helena Victor.

Article continues here

• Like 1

That the place as place is still remmbered as 'dangerous' is , imho, quite interesting. Several reasons for this present themselves to mind. Thanks for the citation.

• Like 2

Hi timrudi,

Would you care to elucidate? I would be very interested to know which reasons you have in mind! 

What the heck - interesting potentials here. So, I'll take some time now to belabour you with some few of my thoughts:

For there to be any collective and/or social memory of the place and the events we are looking at the violation of major Taboo structures on all sides.

Not just mass killing and refusal of burial.

The events which led up to the mass killing and stimulated the resident group to kill must have been quite a series of major violations in themselves.

These people (victims?) were not taken and subjected to judgement, etc. But were killed and left to rot. "Ground sowed with salt" type of thing. 

Seems nothing was ever done with the ground itself...in an area of limited soil/tillable land?? Hmmm. Seems that even the ground was considered un-clean/un-safe and to be left fallow. "Who knows what might grow from such ground?" 

Leaving the bodies to rot would have been un-pleasant for those who lived near/around the site. Major Taboos would have to be over come by the violation of greater Taboos and for this taint to remain for over a thousand years??

I am unaware of any claims of 'psychic' activity for this site but have not investigated the anecdotal material, if any. Usually there is some and may not be freely/openly spoken of.

If the site is still, 2014, considered to be un-safe...this would tend to indicate that some major collective trauma is still referenced within this community, at least. 

Love to know more about it and the events surrounding the mass killing. History is such a delightfully revealing place. Humans do leave such marvelous trace evidences of their passage.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, timrudi. The idea of taboo and collective trauma is quite interesting. As for psychic activity, well, I had not thought of that but yeah, why not?? 

I'll be sure to share more news on the excavations, should I come across anything interesting in future!