UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Bosporan Kingdom

Lacertus

The Bosporan was an ancient state on the northern coast of the Black Sea, founded ca 480BC through an alliance of existing Greek city-states. The kingdom's capital was Panticapaeum (present-day Kerch). The small colony Panticapaeum got world magnitude during the Athens blossoming epoch. Well-being of Athens was closely connected with Panticapaeums Greek colonies, and they had been achieved and kept an easy approach to Pontus in best way. Pericle sent to Pontus (444 BC) the great sea expedition to strengthen the connections of Athens with it and to get the markets as for export of the crude products which necessary for Attica, and as for import from last products of technical equipment, but in the meantime, to show power of Athens.

From 438 BC to I BC Thracian condottieres are in the head of Bosporan management who were invited to defend the country against barbarians and getting salaries for this. Similar practice used commonly in Greece colonies.

The Archaeanactid and the Spartocid dynastys ruled the Bosporan Kingdom during over 300 years. The Bosporan Kingdom was at the height of its economic and cultural development in the 4

Very interesting bit of non-European history. You don't read allot about Russia's ancient history here in Europe. Probably because of Cold War censorship and propoganda.

In the 370 AD the Hans put an end to the Bosporan Kingdom.

I assume you mean the huns?

I assume you mean the huns?

I meant Huns (also known as Hunni) a nomadic pastoral people originated in northern China and then migrated to Central Asia. In the 2nd century AD they appeared in the steppes on the northern coast of the Black Sea. In the second half of the 4th century they began a massive migration into Central Europe, initiating the period of the great migrations of peoples into Europe from Asia.

waw :lol:

Might be worth mentioning that a Bosporan dynastic struggle between the heirs of Paerisades produced our only full description of Scythian forces in battle (Battle of the Thatis River).

The Scythians and The Romans confronted in battle not once. I'm confused with the name of river "Thatis". What did you mean?

The Scythians and The Romans confronted in battle not once.

I know, I was referring to Scythians dealing in Bosporan affairs. Diodorus tells us the Scythians tried to keep very close to Bosporan politics, and as a result, they became involved in a late 4th century (BC) Bosporan dynastic struggle. I recently posted a description of the battle between the two royal sons fighting for the throne (the official heir having with him an army mainly of Scythians) on another site. Maybe someone would find it interesting:

Battle of the Thates River

Description of the battle comes to us from Diodorus Siculus. Actual battle occured in 310 or 309 BC.

Background: The Bosphoran king, Paerisades, had chosen his eldest son, Satyrus, as his heir. The second son, Eumeles, contested the claim and fled the capital to gain support. He fled to the Kuban River area, and gain the support of the Thataeans and their king Aripharnes (the Thataeans were vassals of the Bosphoran kingdom, so they saw this as a chance to get freedom). The Scythians, who had had ties with the Bosphoran kingdom for years, supported the Satyrus.

The Troops: Eumeles's army comprised of 22, 000 horse and 20, 000 foot. Satyrus had a force of 20, 000 Greek and Thracian mercenaries (likely the Greeks fought in the traditional phalanx and the Thracians fought as peltasts); 10, 000 horse (mainly made up of Scythian elite cavalry); and 20, 000 Scythian infantry (that number seems odd though).

Lineup: On Eumeles's side- Eumeles was himself, on the left wing with a force of cavalry to meet the Greek and Thracians (there was also a force of infantry on the left wing). Apparently the Thataean right wing was mainly infantry. And the Thataean king, Aripharnes, was in the center with the bulk of the cavalry (heaviest in front). On Satyrus's side- A combined force of infantry and cavalry on the left wing. The Scythian cavalry (including the elite heavy cavalry) is in the center under Satyrus's personal command. The Greeks and Thracians are on the right (obviously, the lighter Thracians are on the far right, while the Greek hoplites are on the interior).

The Battle: Eumeles was initially successful against the Greeks and Thracians, pushing them back. While Eumeles was engaging the two central cavalry forces crashed into one another. The Scythians, though greatly outnumbered, smashed their Thataean foes, and sent them from the field. The decisive action of the day occured as the Scythian cavalry managed to regroup and lead a second charge against Eumeles (who was still pushing the Greeks and Thracians). This successfully routed Eumeles.

I'm confused with the name of river "Thatis". What did you mean?

Just the river next to which the battle involving the Scythians was fought. Can be spelt "Thates" or "Thatis".

• 7 months later...
Do you know anything about the area/kingdom known as Colchis?

I know that Herodotus (2.104) tells us that these "dark skinned & woolly haired" people were founded by part of Sesostris' (Ramses II) army after his campaigns against the Scythians & Thracians. One of his proofs of their connection was that they practiced circumcision... :) (and worked linen the same way)

Also as P.Clodius has indicated, it is the supposed birthplace of Medea.

Edited by Pantagathus

Fantastic piece, Lacertus. I Notice the Bosporan Kingdom described as a 'Sleepy Roman Protectorate' in Colin McEvedy's excellent Penguin Atlas of Ancient History... but space constrains any further mention of it. It is (or was, prior to reading your excellent piece) very tantalising for me to see it appearing constantly in map after map from about 200BC to 300 AD, but to know almost nothing of it. Many thanks!